obligations

walking up to the blonde, george stops about 10 feet away, waiting for him to look up. dream sees the looming shadow standing over his sitting body out of his peripheral vision, and snaps his head up, making eye contact with the petite brunet.

george gives a sarcastic bow in greeting which dream cracks an amused smirk at. slowly standing up and making his way over to the doors of the school, dream looks back at george, gesturing for him to follow with the same sarcastic bowing motion. though admittedly, it looked a bit more awkward with dream doing it due to his taller form.

george places a small skip in his steps up to the doors till stopping by dream's side. dream sneakily stealing glances at george out of the corner of his eye, as he places his hand onto the small of the brunet's back, leading him into the hallway ahead.

george's breath hitches in his throat at the gesture, which dream mentally takes note of. george feels the warmth radiating off of the taller's palm near the back of his hips. he can feel how dream's single hand is large enough to span across the whole of george's lower back. george finds himself picturing how dream's fingers would feel around wrapped around his waist, undeniably large enough to lock the smaller in place with ease. he imagines the sensation of cold metal rings caressing warm skin, and how his golden tan would appear in contrast against george's own milky white complexion.

george stays silent, internally cursing his untamed, drifting thoughts. he snaps back into reality when dream drops his hand from its once resting position. a small twinge of hurt in george's chest at the loss. he wonders if dream saw his reaction and got disgusted with his sensitivity and neediness, or if dream was embarrassed to be caught walking with someone so below his standards.

george felt his insides shriveling up at the blooming insecurities. after all, dream was everything george wasn't and never would be.

dream sported twinkling forest green eyes, a naturally chiseled, sharp jawline, had splatters of freckles in all the right places, wavy, golden blonde hair that blew around in a perfectly messy way, and a long, lean body that george had yet to fully see due to the blonde's baggy sweater, but he didn't have to see. he knew without looking, that underneath the thick layered clothing, dream would have a toned body with broad shoulders,  but not so broad that they looked out of place against his otherwise thin shape. they'd be just proportionate enough to where it only added to his perfection. dream wore bounds of leather and string bracelets across his wrists, all of which perfectly complimented his muscular, vein protruding hands.

george could have written a novel just describing dream's beauty. himself on the other hand, especially when in close proximity to dream, he felt he was lackluster in comparison. he had plain brown eyes he'd inherited from his father, ones that looked easily dull at that, and dark brown hair that sat atop his head in an unattractive heap. he had a scrawny frame with skin so pale, it could only be described as emaciated and ghastly looking.

additionally, he didn't have a sweet and comforting voice like the man next to him. when george raises his voice, it often comes out in shrill voice cracks and an over-pronounced accent.

he wouldn't have been at all surprised if dream was embarrassed to be seen with him, maybe just disappointed.

but little did he know, that's not at all what dream's intentions had been.

when the blonde saw that hitched breath reaction from the boy, he was filled with panic that he'd overstepped boundaries. he panicked that maybe george is homophobic, and wouldn't want anyone assuming they had a thing going. he panicked that george was uncomfortable with the way he hadn't asked for permission to place his hand there. he also felt a twinge of another type of panic bubbling in his stomach, but couldn't quite place what that one was yet.

and so the two walked wordlessly side by side, both feeling unsure of themselves and silently seeking validation from the other. too distracted from each of their overthinking, it wasn't long before george stopped in his tracks as they'd reached his classroom.

the two turned to face each other, dream watching as george shifted his weight from heel to toe stood in the doorframe.

"this is my class", george spoke.

dream pressed  his lips together into a flat line as he gave a nod and began to turn on his heels and walk away.

he then realized how blatantly rude walking away from a conversation would come off as to george, when in reality, it was solely because he lacked social skills.

in order to spare george's feelings and some unnecessary self-doubt, dream whipped his head back around and shouted out an energetic, "see ya later!" to the boy.

it would seem that he needed to control himself a bit more when he instantly felt a few judging glares thrown his way. nobody likes the rowdy kid that shouts all too loudly at 7 in the morning. he shoots an apologetic glance at the people in his vicinity, while hastily making his escape to save himself from further embarrassment.

cheeks glowing red, he spots a familiar face, and proceeds to slam his back up against the person's locker.

sapnap jolts away from whatever conversation he was having with quackity, clearly startled by his friend's sudden intrusion. upon looking at dream's disheveled appearance, he pulls a confused look asking, "dream, what the hell's wrong with you, man?" and he can't help but let out a laugh.

head thrown back towards the ceiling, gasping and swallowing at empty air, dream finally looks down to be met with both of his amused friends faces.

"i don't fuckin know!" dream groaned in whiny tone.

quackity quickly chimed in with a, "well ya look like shit." to which sapnap shot a glare while biting back a smile.

the three of them were part of a larger group of 5, consisting of them three, plus karl and bad. however, dream, sapnap, and bad had been friends for the longest. dream saw bad as a good voice of reason and shoulder to cry on, while sapnap was like a brother that was always down to fight alongside dream for whatever the scenario. with the group collectively being friends for so long, they were partially used to dream's occasional dramatic moments.

dream was the typically the type to hold his head high, to be confident and assert dominance over people, the type that oozed narcissistic asshole to anyone that didn't take the time to get to know him. however, deep down, he had a side that was anxiety ridden and self conscious. a side that only his close friends had ever seen. every now and then, his built up walls cracked just a bit and the result was situations like this. where he'd flail around in flustered, panicked states, seeking the comfort of his prized allies. they always seemed to know when it was serious, or when they just need to snap him out of it.

this time, all dream needed was a few loud claps in front of his face to pull him from his haze.

both sapnap and quackity gave him a face that meant "no but actually, you good?" to which dream took a deep breath and shortly nodded.

the two other boys took this as a sign that they could now peacefully finish their previously interrupted conversation. dream stood for a moment longer, further collecting himself, before pushing himself off the wall and making his way to his own class.

he felt a spark of mischief and pride in his chest as his teacher looked up, clearly surprised to see him in class, let alone on time. he flashed the older woman a cheeky grin, finished off with a wink, before snatching the top paper off the stack that was gripped tightly in her hands, and twirled over to his seat.

he then propped his feet up onto the desk with a content smirk, exaggerating the cross of his ankles added purely for dramatic affect, and started his day.

___________________________

(1395 words)