greetings (to oneself)

tw at the end for implications of prostitution- not explicit

dream woke up the next morning to steady beams of refracted light piercing though the slits in his blinds. he slowly sat up, yawning tiredly and rubbed at his eyes still trying to adjust. he began wondering why his room was so bright this early in the morning.

he stretched out over his pillows and thoughtlessly checked the time on his phone. 9:33 am.

"shit!"

he yanked his phone from its charger and tossed his sheets away from where they laid entangled with his limbs. bounding over to a pile of clothes that desperately needed to be put away, he dug for anything that would look half decent. he hastily pulled on a pair of baggy jeans and sneakers before grabbing his phone and bolting out the door, picking up a stray tank top along the way.

he sped-walked down the hall of his house with his vision obscured with black fabric, as he performed an awkward shimmying motion to become fully clothed. he wasn't even concerned about the fact that he was late for school, the main thought running through his head was that he'd missed drista leaving to go hang out with her friends. he felt worry flood his body wondering if she forgot her phone, had any breakfast, needed a ride, wanted to borrow some cash, or at least wondering if she knew to call him if she needed anything at all.

out of the corner of his eye, he saw someone walking up to their front door and a car parked out front. seconds later, in came a perfectly-okay drista with an excited walk. dream felt the color slowly come back to his face. it may seem like he was far too protective and dramatic to most, but it was entirely rational when you consider their situation.

"that your friends car?" dream asked hopefully while peering out onto the street.

"yep, i just came in to see if you were awake and say bye", now walking over to her brother and giving him a loose one-armed hug.

"okay," he breathed out, "you know what i'm gonna say, so, all the usual stuff."

"yes, i know clay", she said now skipping to her friend's car, giving him a brief wave goodbye as the car pulled away. he sighed, now figuring he might as well go to school since he'd gotten ready. he was unsure of where his dad had wandered this morning, but deliberately decided that it may be better that way.

he does a quick once-over in the mirror, freshening up his appearance a bit, then grabs his skateboard to leave. they didn't have a car, so he was forced to find other means of transportation. though he wasn't really complaining, it felt nice to have the breeze blow against your skin. the freeing, invigorating rush that swarmed his being any time there was a steep hill or close call with oncoming traffic made it so worth it.

he sung along quietly to the melodies serenading his ears, voice being drowned out by the wind, so he'd remain silenced to the rest of the world. rapidly approaching the front doors, he popped his board up into his hand and sauntered over to the untouched dumpsters where he hid it.

swinging the doors open with wide arms, he gave a charmingly dubious grin to the lady at the front desk. they luckily skipped over all the formalities, both being fully aware that dream had no valid excuse for showing up now more than 2 and a half hours late.

he walked his way in to his class without pulling out his ear buds. he'd learned that eventually the teachers don't care enough to pester their students over such nitpicky things if you never listen, and soon enough they'll just stop bothering to try with you.

meaning, he easily got away with tuning out their shrill voices and redundant lectures. the only thing he ever looked forward to at school was lunch. not because of the repulsive and stale food, but because he could catch up with his friends. he was able to look back on his younger high school self and laugh at how stressed young clay would constantly get over mundane things.