expectation

the tantalizing glow of neon fluorescent lights stood out against the pitch black of the night. tonight the sky was void of any stars and the moon's aura had been hidden behind blankets of gray. petite, family owned shops that were slowly deconstructing into a series of 'for sale' signs lined the pavement, giving something for the two to analyze.

they'd realized george's car was still on school property and due to the fact that it wasn't exactly his, he knew better than to come home to his less than predictable father empty-handed.

dream had hopped the fence first, now standing tall with each one of his feet planted into the twisted wire patterns. he held a hand out for george, the brunet reaching up and lacing delicate fingers with the taller.

each night after school hours are finished, the entire premises becomes guarded with 8 foot fencing; a tad dramatic if you ask most anyone. though with dream being as tall as he is, the fencing proved to be an easy feat, although he knew it wouldn't be for his friend.

he couldn't help but stand at the top rails of the fence and give george little taunts about their now even larger height difference, to which george just childishly stamped his foot until dream caved.

now encasing a slender hand inside larger calloused ones, george began his ascent up the fence, stopping at the top for a moment to collect his bearings. the two made accidental eye contact while both perched at the peak height, and unwillingly shared a set of dopey smiles. what they were smiling at? neither one of them knew.

dream broke the tension by catapulting his body off the fence, but not before yanking george's arm down with him. george's sneakers hit the ground with a loud thud, his front half colliding with dream's back against his best efforts.

"dream! ow!" george whined while rubbing his stomach.

the blonde just wheezed in return, body draining of any and all air supply.

george sent a hurt glare in dream's direction as he pushed past dream towards his car.

"oh cmon george, im sorry," he called out. now that he'd stopped laughing he couldn't ignore the growing guilt blossoming inside him. and although it truly wasn't a big deal, the blonde's head started spinning with all the swarms of doubt poking at him. he hadn't really hurt george right? it wasn't intentional, he'd never do that. thoughts of how he needs to be better and how george deserves more ricocheted off the walls of his mind. he knew he was overreacting, but a piece of him was saying that this event, no matter how small, was representative of a bigger picture.

"dream?"

this was enough to snap him from his downward spiral and bring his consciousness back to the present. george was now standing directly in front of dream, with his hand firmly gripping onto the blonde's wrist, showcasing an apologetic, timid smile.

"you okay?" he sounded worried.

externally shaking his head to rid himself of the trance he'd been put in, he reassured george that he's fine. now he felt even worse because george was checking on him. he'd been the one to just hurt the boy, yet here he was being as caring as ever, checking on the very person that'd just put him through pain. 'stop being so goddamn soft ' he internally cursed.

george gave an unconvinced hum and with that, slid himself in to the driver's seat. he dipped his head curtly as a means of silent farewell, but was stopped from pulling away by an arm landing on the closing door.

placing one arm on the roof of the car and the other holding the door open, dream leaned down mere inches away from george's face and whispered a husky, "goodbye george."