common grounds

tw:// implications of suicide

neither one of the boys went back to class that day. both decided to stay in each other's presence. though after a while, sitting outside on empty bleachers, staring out an empty field got a bit old. especially since it was nearing the end of the school day and the football team would be coming out for practice soon, which both would rather avoid. george, because the thought of a group of meat-head assholes all congregating together to become an even larger mass of assholes sounded like a nightmare. and dream, because sapnap was a member of the team, and didn't necessarily want to have to explain what he was doing skipping all day with this new face.

not because he was embarrassed of george, but because he wasn't particularly fond of the immature teasing that would spew from his friends mouths. undoubtedly, sapnap would gossip to the rest of their friend group about dream's "new crush", and they'd all assume that his crush was the cause of his supposed "after sex glow" they'd theorized.

furthermore, if dream was to truly explain the situation with george, and how george wasn't his crush, but a new friend in need of help, then he'd feel like he was exposing personal information. he didn't want to air out george's dirty laundry in a selfish act to save himself from a little teasing.

so that's how they came to an agreement to leave the school property and aimlessly walk along the sidewalk. dream had been counting each little sprout of grass he could spot in between the sidewalk cracks, trying to bite back the infamous, sour question burning on the tip of his tongue.

eventually, he couldn't hold it in anymore, so he unleashed the prodding wonder in an overly-cautious tone, making it clear to george that this was all he'd been thinking about the entire time.

 "so... wanna talk about it?" he spoke out into the air. although very curious as to what george had been so upset over, that didn't stop him from intently gauging any flash of emotion on the brunet's face at his question. the last thing he wanted to do was trigger the boy.

but there was no reaction for dream to clue in on. george maintained an indifferent, almost empty, blank face. a few seconds passed before he opened his mouth to respond, yet no words came out. dream took this as a hesitation, and quickly needed to play damage control. 

"you don't have to say! sorry, i know it's not my place. forget i asked," he spewed out.

george let out a tiny laugh at the blonde's ridiculous behavior. a laugh that spiraled into a series of repressed giggles. 

dream looked over to george with an incredulous look on his face, highly confused as to how the brunet could go from uncontrollably sobbing, to this, in such a short period of time. but now listening to the brunet's infectious laughter filling the air, dream couldn't help but join in. he internally decided that it didn't matter the reason, because he unquestionably preferred this emotion on george.

now giggling along with the brunet, he shouted a defensive, yet playful, "what!"

"n-nothing," he gasped out, "it's just amusing to me that you're treading so carefully. you this tall, big guy, who could easily get away with treating everyone like shit just because you look like that, but here you are-", the rest of george's sentence was drowned out in laughter, but dream got the gist. he knew it wasn't the time to bring up the almost flirtatious innuations, so he didn't call george out on it, but that didn't stop a bit of pride and swooning from pooling inside of him.

"what? here i am helping someone who looked like they needed it? i just don't wanna hurt you," he said while still chuckling, but george picked up on the undertone of solemnness in the blonde's voice.