Faith part 3

"I feel great." Dean told Roy and Sue Ann.

Alison leaned back against his chest.

"Just trying to, you know, make sense of what happened." Dean said.

"A miracle is what happened." Sue Ann said as she sat down. "Miracles come so often around Roy." 

"When did they start? The miracles?" Dean asked the man.

"Woke up one morning stone blind. Doctors figured out I had cancer, told me I had maybe a month." Roy explained. "So, uh...we prayed for a miracle. I was weak, but I told Sue Ann, you just keep right on praying. I went into a coma. Doctor said I wouldn't wake up, but I did. And the cancer was gone. If it wasn't for these eyes, no one would believe I'd ever had it." He took on his glasses revealing his eyes.

"And suddenly you could heal people?" Dean asked.

"I discovered it afterward, yes." Roy nodded and put his glasses back on. "Gods blessed me in many ways."

"And his flock just swelled overnight." Sue Ann said. "And this is just the beginning."

"Can I ask you one last question?" Dean asked.

"Of course you can."

"Why? Why me?" Dean asked making Alison look up at him. "Out of all the sick people, why save me?"

"Well, like I said before, the lord guides me. I looked into your heart and you just...stood out from all the rest." Roy told him.

"What did you see in my heart?" Dean asked.

"A young man with an important purpose— a job to do. And it isn't finished."

Dean looked down at Alison.

~~~

Dean carried Alison out of the house but bumped into Layla.

"Dean, Alison, hey." She greeted.

"Hey." Dean said while Alison shyly waved.

"How you feeling?" Layla asked him.

"I feel good— cured, I guess." He said "What are you doing here?"

"You know, my mom." Layla said as her mother started up the stairs. "She wanted to talk to the Reverend."

"Layla." Sue Ann spoke up.

"Yes. I'm here again." The girl walked up to the woman.

"Oh, I'm sorry, but Roy is resting. He won't be seeing anyone else right now." Sue Ann told them.

"Sue Ann, please." Mrs. Rourke begged. "This is our sixth time. He's got to see us."

"Roy is well aware of laylas situation, and he very much wants to help just as soon as the lord allows. Have faith, Mrs. Rourke." The woman said then turned and went back into the house.

Mrs. Rourke turned and stopped when she saw dean.

"Why are you still even here? You got what you wanted." She said.

"Mom, stop." Layla said.

"No, layla, this is too much. We've been to every single service. If Roy would stop choosing these strangers over you, strangers who don't even believe..." Mrs rourke trailed off. "I just can't pray any harder."

"Layla, what's wrong?" Dean asked the girl.

"I have this thing." She said.

"It's a brain tumor. It's inoperable. In six months the doctors say..." Layla placed her hand on her mother's shoulder.