26

It felt like hours that we had been following these footprints until finally we saw him sitting at the trunk of a tree.
"There he is!" Melanie exclaims running towards him. Something was off though, he didn't move and he looked pale from where we were. Then it hit me.
"Melanie no!" I yell but to late, she had reached him and let out a screech. I ran towards her, she stood holding her face in her hands. I looked at the boy, he had blood coming out from the side of his head, he had a knife in his hand that had blood on it, he looked as if he had just been freshly killed but whoever it was had tried to make it look like a suicide.
"Melanie," I say, but she could barely hear me over her sobs.
"Melanie." I say louder. She looks at me, "Come on, let's go."
A cannon booms and we leave the area before the hovercraft would pick up his dead body.
We walked in silence all the way back to camp, Hallen and Brandon were on their feet once the saw us.
"Did you find him?" Brandon asks.
"What's wrong?" Hallen asks obviously noticing our faces.
"Yes," I say sitting down. Brandon comes over and takes my weapons away and places them agaisnt the tree, "And he was dead."
Alice gasps dramatically, "No."
Meanwhile Hallen was trying to calm down Melanie. Brandon held my hand tightly.
The rest of the day was spent sitting in sorrow towards someone who didn't care for us, so why would we care for him? Beats me but Melanie apparently felt like we needed too.
"Who's keeping watch tonight?" I ask breaking the silence, the sun had started to set. I start to eat some crackers I had been given, thank you Alice.
"I will, I probably won't sleep much anyways." Melanie says.
"I'll stay up with you." Alice adds.
"You don't have too." Melanie says.
"But I want too." Alice smiles.
"Okay, so its settled." I say.
"Phoebe." Brandon whispers.
"What?" I ask frustration filling my voice. Its not like I said anything bad.
"Never mind." He huffs.
"Are we going to make a fire tonight?" Hallen asks.
"It might draw in the careers and considering that kid was killed today, close to camp too. I don't think its a good idea." Alice says.
"I agree." I say.
"Same." Brandon adds.
"So what are we doing for dinner?" Hallen asks.
"I mean we can just eat the dried up fruit today and probably tomorrow, we need to save our food." I say.
"Okay." Hallen replies.
I place the crackers back into my bag and pull out my water bottle
"We can eat in an hour." I say taking a sip of water.
"Yeah." Brandon says.
"I think its going to rain tonight." Alice says.
I look up at the sky, grey clouds had started to fill the sky, replacing the original white fluffy ones.
"Wouldn't doubt it." I reply.
"Great." Melanie groans.

Night had fallen and the anthem started to play, the boy from District 7's face was the only one to show up which made Melanie cry and everyone comfort her. The rain had started mid afternoon causing us to all move into the tree, we had been up there ever since. I pretended to sleep so I wouldn't get yelled at for not comforting Melanie. I pulled my sleeping bag over my head due to the fact that I had water dripping off the leaves onto my head. The leaves of the tree blocked most of the rain but some still got through. I wonder how the careers are doing right now, and what about that district 12 girl? Its just us left, me, Brandon, Melanie, Hallen, Alice, the careers and district 12. We need to start thinking of ways to start picking them off, its us or them. Kill or be killed. I finally let myself doze off when I hear Melanie tell everyone else they can sleep.
"Wake me up when you want to sleep and I'll keep watch." Alice says.
"Okay. Melanie replies. That was the last thing I heard before I passed out.

Sorry for the long wait for an update and it being short and all, things will pick up soon hopefully haha