13

Supper was interesting. We had turkey, potatoes, cooked carrots, peas, and sweet corn. For dessert we had vanilla ice cream with caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top of it. Strawberries were carefully placed around the bowl. The flavours made my tastebuds dance. Never had i ever tasted something so good. Unfortunately, district 10 doesnt have food like this. Were lucky enough to get bread and when we do its usually burned. The bakers of district 10 didn't even get to eat the things they made unless it was cooked incorrectly. We've all wished we lived in the capitol at least once, but be careful of what you wish for. A few years ago my friend Adrienne and her dad got in a fight with her mom and they wanted to move to the capitol to get away. Adrienne's dad applied to be a peacekeeper and they moved. Last we heard, they both became avox's.

I let out a loud sigh as i stared out the window, I had just turned 15 a few days ago and already the ground was covered in a thick blanket of snow. I looked away for a second and when i looked back a small girl the same age as me with long blonde hair and big brown eyes was at the window about to knock. I fall back off the chair i was sitting on. The girl gives me an apologetic smile. I get off of the floor and unlock the window, softly pushing it open.

"Phoebe." She said. I knew this girl, she went to my school and was kind of my friend, i came to her if i needed a partner in group assignments or if i need help with something and she does the same with me.

"Adrienne? " i ask furrowing my eyebrows, how did she know where i lived?

Adrienne fixes her scarf and climbs through the window. Her boots are full of white snow.

"Mind if i come in?" She asks.

"Your already in." I reply sitting back down on my chair.

"Can we talk?" She says shoving her hands into the pockets of her jacket.

"Where?" I ask.

"Outside," She replies, "Away from people. "

I knew what she meant by this, she wanted to go into the woods.

"Just wait." I say.

I grab my jacket off the hook and put my leather boots on. They were my mothers, they went up to just about my knee and had fur inside. My dad and brother had gone into town to visit George and Brandon.

We leave through the door. The cold air bites at my uncovered fresh face.

Adrienne and I walked in silence for a bit, the only sounds you could hear were the kids playing in the snow and the crunch sound that came from under our boots when we stepped on the snow. We came across an opening in the fence. The fence was made to keep animals out of the district and to keep us from getting out. Most the time the fence isn't even on but it still works. Adrienne and i listen for the soft hum of the fence meaning that its on.

"You first, you know where you going." Adrienne says motioning for me to climb under.

I nod and start to climb under when i hear Adrienne gasp. Quickly i get up and she takes my hand and we hide behind a wooden crate as a Peacekeeper walks by holding a whip.

"Someone got whipped this morning, so the peacekeepers are pissed off and are disciplining everyone even for the simplest things," Adrienne whispers. I look at her, "Joey Nader got whipped today for 'giving a peacekeeper a dirty look' just before i came to your house."

"And you chose today to go into the woods?" I ask.

"It was urgent." She shrugs.

We sat there for a few minutes until we were sure the coast was clear. Then we ran, i quickly slid under the fence, Adrienne followed.

We made it into the woods shortly. I took her to the stream that was currently frozen.

We sat down on some rocks.

"I want to move to the capitol." She said.

"What?" I ask.

"I'm for real, i want to get away from my mom," She says picking up a rock and fiddling with it, "My dad and I both."

"So what hes gonna get a job as a Peacekeeper? " i ask.

"Yeah actually," She says, "He already did."

"So you don't want to go to the Capitol," I reply,  "You are going to the Capitol."

Adrienne nods, "My dad and I want to get away. "

"What about the games?" I ask.

"We're moving to the capitol, we'll be fine." She says.

"Why do you want to 'get away'?" I ask, pulling up my boot.

"My dad and i got in a fight with my mom and it was bad. They broke up and I'm going with my dad because i hate my mom." Adrienne says.

I stayed silent for a bit until i decided on what to say, "When do you leave? " I ask.

"Tomorrow." She states, "Really early tomorrow. "

I nod, "i'll miss you."

"Me too." She says.

I walked her home a few minutes after that. "I guess this is good bye." I say.

Adrienne smiles at me and hugs me tightly.

"I'll see you again, i know it."

"Bye." I say.

"Bye." She replies opening her door.

"Wait, i have a question." I say.

"Shoot." She replies turning around.

"How did you know where i live?" I asked.

"Brandon told me." She replies.

Brandon?

"Well, i'll see you maybe. Be safe." I tell her.

"I love you." She says pulling me into another hug.

She started to cry while my face stayed neutral even though inside i was dying. I was losing yet another friend right infront of my eyes and i couldn't stop it.

"Bye." I said and walked away.

I felt bad for leaving it at that, i mean i could never see this girl again. I decided whether or not to go to her door and hug her for a long time or just leave. I decided to leave her. I dont like showing my emotions to other people but if they know me well enough my eyes tell them exactly how i feel.