tate

They've moved in. They've been here about a week and a half now, I haven't spoken much to Tate, he's been busy getting his stuff all organised. He seems nice, he's talked to me a few times, offered me to come round some evenings, but I've decided to leave him be, let him settle in. Halloween's right around the corner, and I haven't been more excited in my life. I get to leave this torturous, never ending hell of a place for one night, and for that one night I can do anything, I'm free. I thought it would be a good idea to ask Tate to come out with me on Halloween, seeing as there's no one else. I slipped past Constance and Addy, up the stairs and knocked on Tate's door.

"Go away, Mom." he grumbled, clearly still tired from sleep. So just to annoy him I knocked again. I heard an annoyed sigh, stomping footsteps.

"Mom!" he yelled, then realised it was me and his face relaxed.

"Oh hey, y/n. Sorry I thought you were my mom." he laughed.

"Don't worry about it, honestly." I replied, with a smile.

"Well, do you want to come in?" Tate asked kindly. I walked past his shoulder and had a look around his room.

"It's not much, we've only been here a week so..." he exclaimed.

"No, I like it. It's simple, the complete opposite of your moms."

He laughed at that, and agreed. I walked over to his MP3 player, I hit the play button and a rock song started playing.

"Oh, it's Kur-"

"Kurt Cobain, I like it." I laughed.

"You listen to Kurt Cobain?" he asked happily.

"Course I do, I've never met anyone who hasn't!"

"I've never met anyone that has." he said, with a sarcastic grin.

He sat down on his bed, and I pulled over his desk chair and sat.

"So I've been thinking, are you busy the night of Halloween?" I inquired.

"Yeah, I'm free pretty much all the time. I hate being around my mother and her picky perfectness all the time." he said with a laugh, but the smile turned to sadness.  I felt sorry for him.

"Well, do you wanna do something? Go somewhere, or you know?" I queried, hoping he would say yes.

"Yeah sure, why not." he commented, with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Okay! Have you heard about anything happening this Halloween?" I asked him.

"You haven't seen the posters? The ones all over town?" he replied inquisitively.

"No, no... haven't gotten the opportunity yet" i said with a slight laugh, well knowing the truth of why I haven't seen them.

"Okay, well there's a carnival downtown, from two onwards on the day if you want to go to that? If that sounds stupid we can just-" he requested.

"Sounds perfect. I'll come to you, one forty-five, Friday."  I said, cutting him off.

Just as I finished we heard a knock at the door. Tate told them to come in, it was just Moira.

"Hey... we're kind of busy right now, could you come back later?" Tate mumbled awkwardly.

"Yes of course, I just wanted to know if y/n was missing a diary. I found one in the basement with her name in the front."

SHIT. I thought to myself.

"You know y/n?" he said with a confused expression, "Why would she have a diary in my house?"

"Mustn't be mine, I've only been in the house a few times, why would I keep a diary in Tates house?" I laughed, looking at Tate. He laughed too but still looked confused.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Moira said realising her mistake, "It must have belonged to another owner."

She quickly ran out, Tate asked what that was all about,  I responded looking just as confused as he was and we burst out laughing. Then a woman stood in the doorway.  It was Constance.

"And who might this be?" She said provocatively. I smirked at this. Sounds familiar.

"Mom, can you not? This is y/n." Tate sighed.

"And what are you doing in my house?" She said slyly.

"Y/n and I were just making plans for Halloween, now can you leave us alone please?"

"Halloween you say? Why Halloween?"

Crap. Does she know? I decided I had to cover myself.

"Yeah, we decided on Halloween because it's my favourite holiday!" I said to her quickly.

"You're sure there's no other reason?" Constance smiled cunningly.

"Mom! Can you stop interrogating her?" Tate stood up, walked over to her, grabbed her by the arm and brought her out of the room. He shut the door after her and apologised.

"Look, I'm sorry bout' her." he said sheepishly.

"Honestly, don't worry about it! I gotta get back home, but Friday afternoon I'll be here alright?" I said warmly.

"Yeah." he smiled, "I'll see you then?" he said.

"Yes of course, I'll see you soon." I said while walking out with a smile.

I think he's gonna be a really good friend. I just know it.