halloween: part two

Panic was building up, they think I'm dead, they can't know that I'm here.  I stood behind Tate, making sure not to be seen, then I heard my fathers voice.

"Hey, young man."

GOD PLEASE NO.

"Tate, they can't know I'm here."  I thought about how confused he would be.

"Okay, okay. I better get an explanation later on."  he said calmly.

"Excuse me, are you in the line?" I heard my dad say. God I'd missed his voice, all I wanted to do was come out from behind Tate and give him the biggest hug that's ever been given.

"No, no, go ahead sir." Tate said, politely.

"Thank you. Hey, is the person behind you okay?" he said empathetically.

Please no, please no.

"Oh, yeah yeah. She's just a little uh, socially awkward." Tate said with a smile.

"Reminds me of our y/n." I heard him say with a sad voice.

SHIT.

"Y/n? That sounds familiar." Tate said.

"Haha, yeah. Thank you for your help, kiddo. Enjoy your night." I heard him say.

"Will do, sir." Tate said as he turned towards me. He had a 'you've got some explaining to do face' on, but still smiled. We turned the corner and decided to go down to the beach.

"Okay, Tate-" i said quickly.

"Don't worry, I get it. They're just your parents, and you didn't want them to see you out with a guy, it's fine." he said kindly.

"No, Tate. It's not that... look. I understand some things about me are strange. And things happen that you can't explain, but I promise it'll all make sense in the long run. "

"Okay, I trust you." Tate mumbled.

We sat on the beach for hours, talking about life, and he started talking about the future. It made me sad, because I knew I'd never get to live a future, I could only leave that hellhole once a year. He said how he wanted to live his life well, get a good education. I told him he should do that, make the best out of the life he has now. We sat in silence, taking in the sounds of waves, rippling into the shore. I felt myself dosing off, but decided to keep myself awake so I didn't do anything stupid like I did on the train. Everything was going amazing, until we heard screams.

Tate turned suddenly, and the entire popcorn stand was engulfed in flames. The entire place began lighting up.

"Y/n we have to go, now!" Tate yelled.

My first thought were my parents, they were right in the centre of where the fire started.

"Tate, I'm sorry. I have to help them." I bolted toward the flames.

"Y/N DONT!" Tate yelled loudly, trying to catch me.

I ran towards the cotton candy stand, and saw my parents stuck. I found water, and made a clear path for them. I knew they were going to see me, but I had to get them out.

"Mom, Dad! Get out!" I yelled.

They turned and looked stunned, "Y/n?! Am I hallucinating?" My mother said, running towards me. I decided it would be best to just disappear. So when my mother looked back up from the ground, I was gone.

They ran out, and got themselves safely to their car. I could still see our family picture on the inside of it.

"Michael. Was the smoke affecting my sight, or did I see y/n?" my mother said.

"Darling, I know it's hard, I'm struggling too. But we need to move on. It's what she would have wanted. Now we need to go, the fires getting closer."

"Okay." My mother said sadly, as my dad started the car. They drove off fastly, and I could hear sirens in every directions. I went back to try and find Tate when I got cornered by flames.

It wasn't the morbid heat I couldn't stand, but rather the smoke that curled and crowded against my lungs, slowly suffocating me, until my vision went dark. As I fell to the ground, I saw Tate running towards me.