halloween: part one

It was 1pm on the day of Halloween. I got myself ready, in the same house but I could see them and they couldn't see me. I put on an oversized sweatshirt, a black vest and a pair of straight jeans. I occupied myself for the next half hour and then went to Tate's bedroom. I knocked on the door.

"Tate? It's me, you decent?" I yelled through the door.

"Yeah, come on in." he yelled back.

When I opened the door, he was wearing a greyish-blue shirt, with a beige cardigan, hair messy as usual.

"Hey, you ready to go?" Tate said with a smirk.

"Yeah, can you drive?" I said with a giggle.

"Yeah, but we have to take my moms car..."

"That's okay, let's get going!" I said excitedly.

We drove there, listening to things like Kurt Cobain, obviously, who doesn't love Nirvana and I requested Macarena. Tate almost crashed the car because he got too distracted with the dancing, he was it the middle of one of the moves and had to slam on the brakes, and get a rude gesture thrown at him. We both slowly turned and looked at each-other and just started laughing. We blasted music all the way there, and when we arrived got some judging looks from the local high schoolers.

God, I wish I could go to high school again. As much as I hated it when I went, I'd love to be able to do something everyday. I can't believe I'm out of the house, I haven't seen anything like this in so long.

"It's the kids from my school. I hate them, all of them. They're just rude to me for no reason, I've done nothing to them and they always think it's funny to act like a low life." Tate said, angrily.

"You know them?" I asked.

"Yeah. Too well." he said, looking to the ground, "Anyways, let's go."

This was so cool to see, rides, the beach, ocean, children playing, photo booths, cotton candy, popcorn. I was enjoying every minute of it. We'd spent hours, trying out rides, eating literally everything we could find and just spending time in a cool environment. We went in the photobooth, and it was so much fun. We dressed up in loads of different props, and made funny poses. I've allowed Tate to keep them, I'll still see the photos in the house anyway.

"Hey, you wanna do something crazy?" Tate asked with a peculiar smirk.

"Uh, yeah!" I said laughing. He pulled me over to the ghost train, this is ironic. A train, with ghosts. Little did everyone know that there was a literal ghost on the train. After several minutes of protesting, Tate persuaded me to go on with him. We got in the cart and got buckled in.

"Tate, just be prepared to be temporarily deaf after this okay?" I said jokingly.

He smiled. "Aw sure, stops me from hearing my mother's bickering."

The ride burst into action. We slowly started moving round the track, as wind blew in our faces, and a low, eerie tune started playing.

"Taaaate, I don't think I can do this!" I yelled loudly.

"I thought you weren't afraid of anything!" He shouted with a wide smile. As it went on it got scarier and scarier, ghosts popping out of nowhere, witches jumping out at you and grim reapers appearing everywhere. I didn't think I'd be so scared, considering I've literally died. But no, this was terrifying. I was almost on my final straw. A voice then said, "The ride is now ending, please prepare for a picture."

Tate and I decided to just smile normally for the picture, but just as it was about to take, a literal person dressed up as a zombie, with SFX makeup on jumped out at us. In a moment of terror I grabbed Tate's arm and shut my eyes.

After realising I was holding on to him, I quickly jumped off. "Sorry," I said awkwardly, "I'm never normally as jumpy as that."

"Don't worry, I almost grabbed you too." He said with an innocent smile.

It was beginning to get dark, and we decided to walk near the beach. We were walking through the carnival and ended up near the queue for cotton candy. I heard voices behind me, that I recognised, but just couldn't put my finger on. I assumed it would be one of the ghosts from the house, but I turned around anyway.

Then I saw them. FUCK.

"Tate, I need you to hide me."

"What's going on?" he laughed.

"No Tate, I'm being serious, I need to hide behind you."

"Okay, go for it." he said looking confused.

I couldn't let them see me. I thought they were gone.

It was my parents.