the next halloween

(THIS ONES SO CHEESY OMG BUT I HAD TO START THIS STORYLINE ALREADY SO DONT JUDGE ME)

So Tate ended up getting his mom to answer questions from the police, she was willing to do anything to make him speak to her.

Well, it's Halloween again. Remember last Halloween? Jesus feels like forever ago. The night feels like it was yesterday, having fun at the fair, seeing my parents again, Tate being alive.

Yes everything's going to be slightly different this year, but we have to make do. Tate and I have plans to go to some place that he's deciding, he's refusing to tell me though, it's actually adorable.

We'd been egged a few times today, I guess the news has spread about the death of the two guys. The Murder House tour is just getting more and more busy every time it comes past the house. Everyone thinks it's haunted with the spirits of those who have died here, I mean they're not wrong, but I hope they never find out the truth.

Tate came around the corner and into his bedroom.

"Hey y/n?" He said, peeping round the doorframe.

"Yes, Tate?" I said rolling my eyes at him with a smile.

"Be ready to leave for seven." Tate smiled, then walked off before I could say anything.

It was five-thirty, so I had to start getting half ready. I showered, blow dried my hair, and got dressed into a pair of straight jeans and a grey sweatshirt, with converse.

At this point it was 6:45, so I sat down and listened to some Nirvana until Tate showed up. He came in a navy jumper and normal jeans on with converse too.

"Hey, you ready to go?" He said.

"You bet!" I said smiling and ran down the stairs towards the doors.

Tate and I got to the gates outside the house, and took our step into freedom for the night. I span around in the middle of the road, feeling more excited than I'd ever felt.

Tate was just laughing but said,

"Hey, I'm really excited for tonight, but we have to get to the spot real quick. The townspeople may question why the Westfield High shooter confirmed dead is walking around the streets."

"Oh my god, true. Okay. Where we going?" I said with a smile.

"I guess you'll just have to wait and see." Tate said with a smirk.

We borrowed Moira's car because she said she could get the bus, and Tate drove to the beach. I hadn't been there before, but it looked really pretty.

"It's not much, but." Tate sighed.

"No, I love it! Let's go." I said back, opening the car door.

We went and sat down on the sand.

"It's pretty cold, so I brought a jacket if you need it." Tate said.

"I'm good for now, but thanks." I said to him.

We sat and listened to the waves for a good fifteen minutes, and then he put his arm out and jerked his head backwards. I took it as an invitation and he put his arm around me.

"I used to come here," Tate said, "when the world closed in and got so small I couldn't breathe. I'd look out at the ocean and I'd think... Yo, douche bag, high school counts for jack shit."

I looked up towards him, and he was just staring out to the sea.

"Kurt Cobain, Quentin Tarantino, Brando, De Niro, Pacino...all high school drop-outs.
I... hated high school. So I'd come here and I'd look out at this vast, limitless expanse. Then it's like, that's your life, man. You can do anything, be anything. Screw high school, that's... it's just a blip in your timeline. Don't get stuck there." he finished.

"Well, wasn't that poetic?" I said, with a smile.

"Hey, that's my line!" he laughed, "You remember last Halloween? When I was completely oblivious to this shit?"

"Trust me," I sighed, "I remember it like it was yesterday. I guess I kinda miss the not knowing... you, you were just, I don't know-"

"Different?" He said, "I know. You don't have to feel bad saying it, I agree with you."

I pursed my lips together and kept talking,

"It's also been a full year since you found out too. Since I've seen my parents. But I think they'll be living a good life somewhere, somewhere far away from here. Moms working the way she wanted to, Dads out in the yard doing the gardening which he loves," I laughed, it makes me sad thinking about them, "they would have wanted me to be happy, and I am. I want them to be happy, too."

Tate wasn't much of a talker, but it was good to know that he was listening.

"I remember high school. I only went to Westfield for a year or so, but... I hate to say that I miss it. I miss the routine, the boring classes, even the trashy food made my Miss Smith!" I exclaimed.

This made Tate laugh.

"But I want to appreciate what I've got, I've got a beautiful house to live in, a few amazing friends... and I've got you, Tate."

"And I've got you, too." He said back to me, "You know, you're one of the only people to befriend me and actually stick around... and I appreciate you for that. It's good to know at least someone cares."

"Of course I care, idiot." I smiled.

"Seriously though, the amount of shit we've been through, the amount I've done." He said, looking out to the ocean, "You've stayed by my side, through it all. You've shown me more care in the single year you've known me, than anyone has in my entire life. I know that we're not a thing, or anything like that, but I have to tell you, that I care for you. More than I have for anyone in this world, I don't think I'll ever lose that feeling, nothing could make me. You're such an amazing person and I don't know what I've done to deserve someone like you to be by my side.  So I just want to get this off of my chest, and I know you may think it's rushed, but here goes."

I turned and looked up at him.

"I love you, y/n."