Chapter 5- Apology Accepted, Maybe

10:51 P.M

Opal was laying on her bed. She couldn't sleep, just staring at the wall. She couldn't stop thinking of the words Mephisto said.

"I-... I don't know why...just- leave it be."
It made her cringe, why was she so desperate to know?

She slapped her hands on her face and groaned. "I'm so embarrassed." She mumbled to herself.

"Don't be." A voice said.

Opal shot up, "Who's there?!"

"Relax, it's just me." The voice said. Opal rose a brow, walking to where the voice was. "Who's me?"

The voice groaned. "Mephisto. You've gotta start remembering voices." Mephisto hopped from the window sill, walking around her room.

"Hmph." Opal huffed, crossing her arms with offense. Mephisto looked around her room, playing with all the things she had around. "Interesting artifacts you have, princess."

Opal blushed with embarrassment, "Don't call me that."
"What? It's what you are." He smirked, ruffling her hair.

"Yeah but—"

"Hi, Miaaa~" He whispered to Mia, who was in her cage.

"Mephisto—"

"Jeez, it's so cute in here!"

"Mephisto—"

"Ooo what's this?"

"MEPHISTO!"

Mephisto looked at her with wide eyes.

"Why are you here?"

"Okay, I'll leave." He said, walking towards her window. "No!—" She grabbed onto him as he laughed, "I'm kidding!"

Opal wasn't impressed, still waiting for an answer. He sighed. "I'm sorry."

"For?"

"For how I reacted when you asked me that question later today."

"I forgive you. I'm sorry too, you don't have to give me an answer but...I don't know if I can trust you." Opal said, rubbing her arm.

"What? W-why?!" Strangely, he didn't like this answer. Opal squinted at him, "That shouldn't be a concern to you why...you're a villain after all."

Mephisto blushed with frustration, "Well, maybe I don't want to be!" He yelled out.

There was a pause of silence. Neither of them knew what to say until Opal finally broke it. "Mephisto...I think you should leave..." Opal stepped away, a bit terrified.

At this point, he was horribly embarrassed. "Fine, consider us enemies again!" He teleported away.

"Mephisto—" Opal tried to stop him to explain what she meant, but it was too late. He was so stubborn! It was so annoying.

.

"So, care to explain what happened yesterday?"
Praxina asked with her arms crossed. Mephisto sat against a rock. "She got away." He mumbled.

"HOW?!" Praxina yelled. "She just did! Okay?!" He yelled back.

Praxina wasn't a very sympathetic person, but she could tell Mephisto wasn't acting like yourself. She sighed, softening her tone. "Is something wrong?"

This surprised him, why did she care? All she ever did was yell and abuse her. "Why do you care..." He turned away. "Because you're not acting like yourself. And I'm your sister so...I should care, I guess."

She sat next to him, tapping him until he slowly turned his head to her. "I'm just tired."

Praxina rolled her eyes. "Ugh, tell me about it, I wonder when Gramorr will give us beds to sleep on."

Mephisto shook his head, "No— No, not in that way...I'm tired...mentally."

Praxina didn't exactly know what that meant— is he depressed? The only time she knew about mental health issues is from humans.

"I don't know how to help...but...I'm always here." She smiled slightly.

"Thank you, Praxina."

A part of what Mephisto said was the truth, but a part of it was a lie. He was tired, tired of being evil. It was draining, mostly mentally. But he also felt an emotion he hasn't felt before, it was hard for him to explain, but every day the feelings grew stronger.

And he hated it.