Chapter 20- First Cry

"There's no hiding now."

"Please...she's my daughter!"

"She's...I'm...his daughter!"

Opal whimpered in her sleep, tossing and turning in her sleep, muttering to herself.

"Don't...hurt...me!" She bolted from her sleep, covered in a cold sweat.

Breathing heavily, she felt tears form in her eyes. "I need to defeat Gramorr, I need...Mounu back...I need...my dad back." She affirmed herself, slipping out of her bed and going outside.

.

"Crystal Asentra!" She exclaimed, darting a crystal at a tree. "Crystal...Asentra!" She exclaimed again, sounding a bit more exhausted.

"Crystal...- oh forget it."

Her magic circle disappeared as she leaned against the tree she was practicing on, trailing her hands small crack in the tree.

How would she save Mounu if she can't even destroy a tree? It doesn't even seem like she had time to save her realm when she's helping the girls save Ephedia...

"Princess?"

She whipped her head, seeing the blurry figure of Mephisto. "What are you doing here?"

Mephisto rubbed his neck, "I missed you."

Opal blushed, "You did?"

Mephisto chuckled and smiled, "Yeah!...Uh...why are you awake so late?"

"Please...she's my daughter!"

She shuttered. "I just...can't sleep."

Mephisto smirked, raising a brow. He placed a hand on her arm, "What's the real reason?"

"Oh you poor poor thing, you're daughter would perish living with a troubled father like you."

Opal's eyes became glassy, she wasn't able to hide her tears. As her lips started quivering and her breathing became shaky, she blushed profusely.

"Opal?—"

"I'm sorry!" She choked out, hurrying her face in the palm of her hands.

She couldn't believe it— she was crying, in front of someone besides Mia. She was humiliated.

"Opal..." Mephisto cupped her face, Opal glanced away from him, hiccuping and sniffling.

"Please, what's going on?" He repeated himself.

"I...I keep having nightmares." Opal mumbled.

Mephisto tilted his head, "About?"

"My memories. My father, Mounu...Gramorr." Opal shuttered.

"I just...I don't think I'll ever save Fengari, I'm helping the princesses reclaim Ephedia, and- even though I managed to get one of the Mounu gems- I still feel...hopeless."

Mephisto wiped her damp cheek, "Opal, you're not useless. You're strong, smart, talented...beautiful- and I promise, with my whole heart, when the time comes, I will help you reclaim Fenagri, and all the kingdoms."

Opal smiled widely, "Mephisto I...I don't know how I can thank you."

"No need, It's my pleasure."

.

The two spent hours talking about random things. Praxina, Gramorr, Ephedia...etc.

"I wonder how the princesses found out you weren't Ephedian." Mephisto wondered.

"After I discovered I wasn't, they told me they found my kingdom name in a book. Since there's still kingdoms in Ephedia that are undiscovered, they assumed I was a part of it." Opal exclaimed.

Mephisto nodded, "What's the worst part about finding out you weren't Ephedian?"

Opal knew the answer to his question but was hesitant to share. "That my kingdom used to be evil."

"What?!" Mephisto exclaimed as Opal chuckled. "Yeah, my exact reaction. After Iris, Talia, and Auriana told me, I started to research more about it on my own, I found out Gramorr and my grandfather were...friends."

"I guess that makes us both evil then." Mephisto giggled.

Mephisto liked this moment. He liked bonding with Opal, getting to know her, her getting to know him. It made him...happy.

"Opal? I—"

He looked next to him to see her resting her head on his shoulder, fast asleep. He chuckled and blushed, picking her up bridal style and carrying her back home.

Teleporting into her room, he placed her on her bed, smiling as he moved strands of hair away from her face.

Mia, unfortunately, didn't accept this and was flapping her wings furiously against her cage.

"Shhh! The princess is sleeping!" He whisper-yelled.

Glancing at her once more, he kissed her cheek.

"Sleep well, princess."