4

"It is so much safer not to feel, not to let the world touch me"

"You're insane." I exclaimed to Evie through the telephone.

"Not insane, just suggesting an idea." She pointed out.

Me and Evie had become fast friends over the next few weeks. We call each other quite often, and I come to visit her at her job at the dingo, which just so happens to be a roughed up diner in town. She hates working there, but she says that seeing a friend makes it more manageable.

There was a party taking place at a house called "bucks roadhouse." Evie kept telling and telling me on how she didn't want to go alone, and that her boyfriend would probably be there.

They still hadn't made up, so they both decided to be petty about the whole thing. He wasn't talking to her, so she wasn't talking to him. It was quite confusing since they were still dating, but so pissed at each other that they've been ignoring each other for two weeks now.

"I just don't know if I'm up for it." I explained to her.

Evie was trying to convince me to go to the party, giving me reason after reason why I should go. I used to party quite a lot in part of my sophomore and junior year, but ever since the end of school I've felt so incredibly drained. Just the idea of really getting out  sounded miserable.

Let's just say my idea of parties now was more tainted.

I could practically see Evie's feigned pouting through the telephone. "You don't even need to go for long. Please, I need you there." She begged, I could hear the desperation filled throughout her voice.

I've always been told I can be a people pleaser, and this request was no exception.

I sighed, slumping against the wall in defeat. "Fine, I'll go but only for you."

"Yes! You're a doll Rebecca, wait are you sure?" She said, hopping between words.

"One second you beg me to go and now you're asking if I don't want to?" I laughed, feeling amused that she was practically getting me a way out of the party.

Evie went quiet out of fear for a moment. "I'm only kidding Eves, I'll be there." I reassured her, hearing an exhale from Evie on the other line.

"See ya there, I gotta go but I'll meet you at the entrance." She said quickly, seemingly in a hurry to finish up our call.

"Wait where is it again?" I questioned, remembering that she never disclosed where the location was.

But I could almost clearly see her wide catlike grin through the phone. "You'll know it when you see it."

Those were the only words of information she enclosed before hanging up. But Tulsa is a fairly small town so I'm certain I'll be able to find it.

I put the phone down, exiting the kitchen so I could go get ready for the party. When I checked my closet I remembered that I left almost all my party dresses back in Burbank. I assumed at the time that I wouldn't even be making friends, so what was the need for the dresses? I'm now regretting that choice since all my best dresses are sitting around, collecting dust in storage.

Hopefully my aunt had something I could borrow, but I don't even know if you're supposed to dress up for these things.

"Hey Kristy do you have a dress I can borrow?"I yelled to my aunt down the stairs. "Sure, what's the occasion?" She hollered back from downstairs.

I decided to walk down the stairs just to tell her to her face. Simply talking to her would be much more simpler than yelling back and forth. I leaned my elbows on the kitchen counter that she was standing at, cutting up onions for a stew she was making.