6

"What Father leaves you for a knife? Chooses his God instead?"

The boy was beat up bad.
Real bad.

Waves of panic were pressed onto me as I thought about how the hell I would get this boy to safety. Cars were speeding past us, so I did what my last possible choice was. I couldn't walk, and I wasn't just going to leave him here.

I stuck my thumb in the open, cool, brisk air. Who would've thought I'd turn into a hitchhiker. I was beginning to get impatient, nobody was stopping.
But why would they? Who wants to pick up a girl with ripped clothes and a boy who has blood coming from his elbows, face, and so many other parts of his body.

And that was when I did something completely, and utterly stupid.

I jumped out in the street, embracing the fact that I might just die right now. Some might call me crazy. I didn't even know who this boy was. Why should I put my life on a tightrope for his? I have many reasons for all of this. But the biggest one out of all of them is that this boy reminds me of someone. A very certain someone.

And not to mention I don't know how I'd react if I was the reason for yet another death.

I clammed my eyes shut, squeezing them so tightly it felt like they were on the brink of falling out. For a moment I swear I could almost see the bright lights. But all that happened was the sound of a piercing shriek coming from a car stopping.

"What's your problem! Get the fuck out of the damn road." A deep booming voice yelled from inside a small red truck.

In a hurry, I ran to the window of the drivers seat. "I need you to take me somewhere. I know it sounds crazy but I can pay you a lot for it."  I reasoned, sounding desperate in this moment. And to be truthful, I was.

The man inside the car looked as if he were contemplating his choices. He then raised his eyebrow as he stared at me.

"Anything?"

Stupidly out of instinct I agreed, anything to save the boy. "Yes, anything."

The man then started the car back up again. The roaring sounds of his engine was so incredibly powerful.

"Get in." He ordered, keeping his eyes on the road in front of him.

I was so panicked, I didn't even think to thank him. Instead I hurried and got the boy, forcefully dragging him into the car.

The flashing city lights were practically never ending. Every turn the driver took there was another flash of green light, then red shadows would swallow up our car as a whole. If only I could put the world on pause right now, then I could rush through all these cars without a problem.

I looked down at the boy, keeping my hands firm on his jawline.

"You'll be alright, I promise." I said to him, keeping my eyes concentrated on the road in front of me.

I wanted to wrap him into a tight embrace, but anything but mine. I grew into such a colder person once Meghan died. I'm not even sure if I have the capacity to truly comfort anyone. My arms are too bone chilling to captivate anyone.

The boy said nothing in response, only a couple grunts, which was expected. The only sounds that were audible were the sounds of tires screeching, the wind blowing through the one window that was opened in the truck. Everything is much more quiet at nighttime, but at the same time so loud.

I told the man the address of the location we were headed, thankfully, it wasn't too far away. Once we made it to the boys house I thanked the driver, helping the boy get out of the car since it was barley manageable on his own.