21

"I know pretty much what I like and dislike; but please, don't ask me who I am"

Dear whoever is reading these exact words, I want you to try something. And before you sigh out of disappointment, wondering why I would ever give you, the reader such a request, I would like you to simply give me the benefit of the doubt. Close your eyes and imagine a time where you woke up with sun shining right in your face. The warmth tickling your skin, causing you to wake up. You became aware of the world around you, your eyes blinking open.

This moment was similar, only I wasn't groggy from the lack of sleep.

It felt right, us running through the streets of Austin Texas away from them. When Dallas first initiated that we make a run for it, I told him he was crazy. And he was crazy. But did I do it anyways? Yes. Did I put my trust in the criminal that's mostly likely been through this before? Yes.

By the time we had found an abandoned alleyway, we had completely lost them. This happened to be a blessing and a curse. For we now were most likely far, far away from the rest of the gang.

Now it was just us two, standing in between two buildings, with not much left to say to each other.

That was a lie, there is far too many things I want to say to him.

We were out of breath, with sweat dripping down our foreheads in the air that had gradually built up to feel so dry that it withered our souls away to rot. If I had the guts to stare him right in the eye (I almost did, but decided against it last second) I would have started the conversation. Hell, I would have said anything remotely bold.

"Holy shit" were the first words to be spoken in that alleyway.

The heaving of my breath was coming out like quick paced shots, one by one as time went on. Those two words that slipped from my mouth added to the intensity of the moment. For they might only be two simple words, but they were something. And anything sounded mesmerizing when it was only us two in this alley which felt like more of a bubble due to the muffled sounds from around us.

"Yeah, holy shit man" He replied, less out of breath than I was, but nevertheless it was quite a lot of running.

We were leaning on opposing sides of walls. The two buildings that served as something for us to lean on being so pressed together, it left me and Dallas not much feet apart.

I have always wanted to know what it feels like to be warm. Like basking in a nice shot of tequila on a never ending day in the summer. We have gotten midway through August, but in this moment, maybe I'm close to warmth. For as the lights dim, I can't help but want to lay in the streets, allowing the world to run me over, pressing its culture and beauty onto my body.

"So what's next?" I questioned him, finally gaining back highly needed breath. He turned his head to catch my stare.

"I don't know."

I wasn't sure what to think. This was the first time he admitted to not knowing something. And maybe it wasn't as big of a deal as I made it out to be, but something had changed in the air. Perhaps it won't last much longer, but if that's the case then I will do anything to grasp onto whatever remains.

So here we are, not having a clue as to what our plan is. All that is left in the agenda book is staying out of sight, and out of mind from the men in the bar.

"We need to kill some time, before the concert." I reminded, now crossing my arms as I stayed pressed against the wall. It smelled of warm summer nights and rotting cans of beer. I could feel it sticking onto my skin like a layer of bug spray infecting my body in the peak of the night.