14

"And of another color. How they'll travel, travel, travel, scenery sparking off their brother- sister rears"

The sudden shift in time didn't appear to be significant in the least bit. It's still clearly summer, anybody could tell due to the children squealing on the playground at the park, ice cream dripping down the sides of the waffle cones, and most importantly the summer air that just about anyone could identify.

But even despite it still being summertime, everyone could tell that there has been a shift.

It feels as if time is slipping away— which it is, most of us just refuse to acknowledge the loss of time. Summer is falling behind us, whether the people of Tulsa would like to admit it or not. For a change in season, and events, is on the horizon.

But if there's one thing that indefinitely hasn't changed, it's the weather still being hotter than hell.

Even inside the diner she could still feel the blazing lamps beat down on her skin. The dryness of the hot air outside put an increasingly dreadful effect on the diner with no air conditioning. As the day drew on, with more and more teenagers coming in with their pretentious attitudes, all Rebecca wanted was to leave. There wasn't a location in particular she wanted to run to, she was just in awe at the idea of being able to go anywhere but here.

"I'll never understand how you could be married to someone, why would you do that to yourself?" Evie exclaimed to me suddenly as she removed herself from the cashier, standing right next to me at the miniature bar we have.

I snickered. "Weren't you just talking about marrying Steve two minutes ago."

It was true, the topic has been brought up more than once, but usually as a joke. I had not one intention of being married, just the thought of it sends shivers down my spine. But Evie, her thoughts on marriage are far more complicated.

Just looking at Evie from across the room, you could instantly be able to write an essay on that girl. She has this magnetic flame she carries with her, her boldness is so impeccable it makes me insanely jealous.

Evie then blushed like a mad man for a moment, quickly returning her features back to the look of someone who was completely disgusted.

"I joked about that ONCE, alright?"

I began to laugh, enjoying this little banter between the two of us. "That's not what you said the night you two—"

Evie slapped a hand over my mouth. "Don't you dare."

My words came out muffled, but audible enough for Evie to let out a small shriek.

"God damn it Rebecca not at work!" Evie said in a hushed tone, looking around as if to make sure nobody was listening in.

I was enjoying every second of this, that is until Evie replaced her embarrassment with a smirk.

"Speaking of stripping—what's going on with you and Winston?" She asked whilst feigning innocence in her tone.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I questioned, strolling over to the back to get more trays.

Evie's catlike grin said it all.

"What I mean is that you know there's a part of you that wants to get all tangled into Winston."

And to that, my only response was a haughty laugh. "Now I really know you're losing it, he's intolerable."

Even just thinking of me and Dallas not being at each other's throats doesn't sound right. But Evie only rolled her eyes, leaning her hand on the counter, a grin that terrified me playing on her lips.