31

"I am inhabited by a cry, nightly it flaps out. Looking, with its hooks, for something to love"

Sparkling Champagne
Girls love it.

The day her voice died was a day filled with thunder and new beginnings.

All I know for sure, is that I ended that year with a bang, and quite the bang it was. And in the end, I started that new year with an onrush of fireworks, and what felt like a million gunshots.

Tonight was a night on repeat for Rebecca. Every year it was the same gaiety of new year's eve parties and dresses that were pressed to perfection.

Every year Rebecca attends,
but not by choice.

The house was being prepped by not only her mother, but with the help of a few women in town. Women that Rebecca knew were cruel, only her mother couldn't see that. She saw the way their false grinning faces reflected at her when she passed them during church service on Sundays.

Decorations from every element of riches hung on the ceiling. The house looked even more extravagant than usual, but Rebecca felt nothing.

Maybe she was spoiled, but after seeing how the rest of the world celebrates the new year, she saw the house as nothing but a dollhouse. A figurehead that they used to their advantage to show they had power.

She stood in her favorite corner throughout the majority of the party, only wandering around when necessary. Occasionally, he would come to disturb her. Imprinting his fragile ego ways onto her. With his somewhat smooth words, she didn't feel herself sway in the slightest.

Her mothers intense fixation on her wasn't helping. That glare could easily be felt. Whether it was on her back, through her skull, or even face to face.

This event was supposed to be a night where she felt pretty. But if that was the case, then why did she not want to do a single thing but escape. And escaping she would do. For she and Megan had a plan—a plan that they deemed to be foolproof.

Mrs. Grady was striking a conversation with me in my special corner. At least, she was trying to.

"So," She cleared her throat. "How is school going my dear?"

School? Why school of all things?

I flicked my gaze towards her. "Schools alright." I responded dryly.

She seemed to understand that I wanted to be left alone, for she couldn't most likely notice that my head was somewhat in the clouds. But what she didn't understand was that I wasn't in the clouds, but gazing at the moon through the window.

Megan knows practically anything about Astronomy, it's one of her many gifts despite the lack of quality education she received. Rebecca couldn't get her off her mind, although this time was different. Megan hasn't been off her mind for a while.

In fact, she stays there without even daring to pay a rent check. Only it doesn't frustrate Rebecca. This must be how it feels to deeply care about someone, right?

She kept checking her watch to see if it was time yet. The girls had a plan set in stone. Once the clock struck precisely eleven, Rebecca would slip away from the annual party her parents threw every year for status purposes. Then, Rebecca would meet her by the window and they would celebrate the new year with gulps of champagne Rebecca would sneak away from the party.

10:53

She kept her eyes alert, checking to see if anyone had her eyes on her in particular. But not a soul cared in the slightest. Her mother was beaming with pride for the affection Mr. Dawson showed for her mothers famous Pecan pie. It was then, that she carefully slipped away without a trace.