26

"The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no further"

A/N: Thank you all so much for 1k reads I can't thank you all enough! There are two people who always vote for every chapter and I just thought I would let you both know how much I appreciate it! I love you all and I hope you enjoy this chapter<3

The first day of school. The day that truly counts. People can tell you that you have all year to be on track, but the beginning of the year is your starting point.

Every corridor, every classroom, now marked the world I was now living in. If I'm being honest, I don't see much of a difference between this school and my old school. Redwood High School was similar to every public school. Big, bustling with kids, teachers nearly ready to retire. Not to mention it was too easy to get lost in the crowd.

This school was immensely similar. The only main difference is the range of riches split among the teenagers. It's simple really: if you have money, you have access to more of the world's greatest desires. If you were born poor, I'm sorry to say this but the road ahead of you is destined to be winding and be dreary.

Back in California, the air in the classroom wasn't thick with tension. There was a middle class. Here, it's either rich or poor. And if you dare say you're middle class, you're forgotten. How dare you step foot into a school being who you are?

My sense of direction has become more articulate over the past few months. But today, as nerves swerved throughout my body, I was already lost within the first hour.

I scrambled to the office earlier on in the day. It was a bittersweet type of situation. I mean, I was able to get my schedule at the office, but at the same time, I lost sight of anybody that I could say I knew. Evie ran off to go talk to someone, Ponyboy had to drop something off at a classroom, Two-Bit was off doing who knows what, and Steve—well Steve and I aren't the best of friends.

He's told me repeatedly how he hates that I "steal his girlfriend away from him." This then leads me to tell him how she's not his to steal. That then proceeds into dirty looks being thrown from across the room. It's not that I don't like him, I would just prefer to not be his friend. I don't hate him, and we can have our joking moments, but sometimes I wish that he could get his head out of the sand. He thinks he's right every time, he's a cocky little shit in other words.

Ponyboy helped me to find my classes (despite me having a schedule and telling him I was fine). But regardless of if I needed the gesture or not, I appreciated it all the more.

There were three classes that day that would be the death of me. Three that I know can obliterate me.

The first roadblock was trigonometry. The shapes, the numbers, everything in that class made me want to puke. Math has never been my best subject, nor do I think it ever will be.

The second bump in my path was chemistry. I took chemistry in my sophomore year, but let's just say I didn't exactly pass due to a series of events that year. I passed physics last year on a whim, but if I can't pass chemistry, it's all over.

The last class was one I knew I could succeed at, but it wasn't the class that was the problem. It was the boys who believe every woman out in the world is brainless.

Political Science, the class reserved for power-hungry politicians destined for corruption.

As I sat in that class with eyes beating down on me as if I were under a microscope, I felt humiliated. What could I have possibly done for them to despise me with so much hate in their hearts? Is it because of the fifty-fifty chance I was born a woman? It has to be, or else the comments would come to a close. I wouldn't be cowering before the teacher during his lectures.