9

"I want you so badly. It certainly is a new sensation for me. I never pined for anybody before in my life. In every book I read, I seem to find a parallel to you and me"

That little white dress didn't fit in the slightest bit on Rebecca' small frame. As she looked herself over in the mirror, nothing felt how it should be. But to her parents, that dress not fitting was the least of their problems, for only a few people at most would notice.

However that didn't stop her from feeling as if something wasn't right.

She knew that she should have immense gratitude for her parents, and appreciation for the life that has been handed to her. But even at eleven years old, she knew this wasn't who she wanted to be.

Having brunch at the Smiths, playing croquet on Sundays, she felt as if she doesn't deserve this life when nearly everyone else around her is suffering so tremendously.

Her parents belonged to the catholic faith, and they just loved to flaunt it. To make themselves appear as if they're better than the millions of controversial people on planet earth.

However, there is a certain group that even Rebecca knows they can't stand. A group they deem to be more than problematic. Actually, problematic is a vanilla term to describe their dislike for this group.

Those with dark skin, black people. There were many other words her parents referred to them as, but she would rather slit her throat a thousand times than say them out loud for everyone to hear and take in like a dagger piercing through her heart.

Today is Easter Sunday, and her family is heading to church just like the rest of the people on her culdesac. Westbrook court, where everyone is exactly the same.

"Rebecca, please tell me you're ready."

Rebecca turned away from the mirror to see her mother looking as glamorous as ever. She has sharper, and more defined features that make her all the more charming.

Her dress was pressed to be smoother than even her hair, washed the night before to be silky and smooth the next day. She put her hair in rollers every night so that she could have her curls as soft as cotton straight from the bush.

Stress doesn't look good on a woman darling.

That's what she always told her.

If only Rebecca's mother could live by her own words right in this moment. Her eyes were frantic, yet suppressed her calm nature as well.

When Rebecca was younger, she used to admire her and how she could handle just about any situation. But in reality, Marie Davis is just about as much of a liar as the next.

"Yes mother." Rebecca replied with a tone that she would soon cringe just thinking of whenever it was mentioned in her mind.

Rebecca was the best daughter, understanding, and caring. Truly the definition of perfection. "A replica of her mother" they would say.

According to her parents and those around her, she was destined for Harvard. Everything was planned out. She would go to college, only to marry a rich man within a year. To Rebecca, that didn't make much sense at all. Why would she use all that money just to get married?

But little did they know that Rebecca had a secret. A hidden piece of knowledge that only she knew about. And let's just say it made her feel alive.

Rebecca' best friend was a girl who her parents would deem as "utterly filthy" and to Meghan' parents Rebecca was nothing more than "white trash."

Rebeccas parents don't know that both Meghan and Rebecca get pushed around in the hallways at school, threats to hurt them once school is let out, nobody knows but them.