15.

Work.
Work day.
Work night.
Work evening.
Work morning.

"I'm gonna lose my mind if they keep this up."

Sending me all over Japan as it was the beginning of the season for vehicle accidents, the bad ones where people got stuck in snowstorms, or avalanches in their cars. I hated the stinking cold. My body has the downside of only being as warm as my environment. The winter already made me sluggish, but the potential for onset hypothermia wasn't helping!

I was digging through the snow. It couldn't crush me from the weight and I had to have on three layers of sweatpants to be able to work my legs. Not to mention an air tank strapped to my back to keep oxygen supply since the snow had buried this vehicle so deep that the small tunnel would not support enough air for the family of five stuck in the car.

I finally touched the glass of the sunroof of the van.

I sighed with relief. I can get them out just fine and not dig anymore. "Alright Roach, you have to break the sunroof." Ex-pro hero Dr. Magic spoke through my helmet. He knew just how to rub me the wrong way. I wish they would let me change my dispatcher. "Well, I was just gonna leave that for yo-"

"Really backtalk now?" He was whining already. I can't ever talk back or be rude when he insults me. Sorry, bud you are the one who can't handle being hit by a car. "Yes now! I'm not an idiot so I can't talk and need to reserve oxygen!" I smacked the circle disc and he was right back on the line. Silent thankfully.

I tapped the glass and took my heel, trying to smash it in the confined hole I had to dig out. Why was I doing this? Shouldn't a rescue team be on the job, like them be crawling down here and not me? I mean they have the rope on top to hoist people up but they have a machine for that.

It finally cracked slightly and I resorted to slamming my elbow into the glass, my heel wasn't going to be able to finish it off. Finally with my arm now cut, could I lean into the vehicle. It was colder inside than out. Two teens in the back seat with a small kid, parents seemed knocked out and not in good condition. If in any condition at all. Snow had caved in through the front window and they might have been squeezed to death.

I turned my attention to the youngsters. They were shaking terribly, and the child almost looked frozen. I pulled off my layers, trying to ignore the freezing temperatures as I bundled them up. I took the rope from my waist and pulled it around in a safety harness for all of them along with the air tank, kids were dizzy and light head. I got them on the roof of the hole and tugged twice on the rope. They were lifted up immediately. 

I began shaking from the temperature. "Hey hurry them up if you can I'm freezing down here." It was silent in my helmet for a moment. The few times I worry about someone forgetting me in a tight space where I can't crawl out off because of the stiffness of my body. "Alright, Roach I'll try. Be careful that you keep the oxygen tank-"

"Was I suppose to keep the tank?" I bit my lip at my stupidity. But those kids were far better with it. Dr. Magic only groaned from the end of the line. I cringed, he was so frustrated. I chuckled, "Why not work some of that Magic Doc?"

"Har har, you are a fuckin idiot." Oh crap, I must be really screwed. I dipped back into the car and examined the bodies of the parents, both dead. I shook my head and went to the back of the vehicle. I could see where the back window caved in. The spare tire. I broke the window and the snow didn't cave in. It was frozen solid. I took a survivor pocket tool and flipped out the knife. I reared back my hand before solidly stabbing the knife into the tire. It wedged itself with the tire and nothing happened. I slightly pulled the blade back and air released into the cabin until I plugged the tire with the blade again. It could keep me going for a while.

It felt like hours had passed. My tire had no air, I laid frozen on top of the broken sunroof. Dr. talking to me trying his best to comfort me as I was experiencing hypothermia. "Hey come on the rope is heading down you will be okay. Come on, stick it out Roachie!" His optimism forced to cheer me up. I could watch sunshine down the hole, kinda like a beacon. It was noon, I had been stuck here since six am. Six hours stuck in this hole, four hours prior to digging this hole. Three hours to travel up and three to travel the rope back down. It was sad to think all that I could have died from, this was it. Stuck in a hole.

I sighed a shallow breath trying to conserve air. I didn't have much of a choice. "Roachie did you hear me? The rope should be above you now. Side your body and legs through the harness."

I slowly moved my body, I couldn't really see the rope, my vision was blurry from lack of oxygen. I gripped it and heaved. My body was too cold, I sighed, tiring the whole process of moving. I put my arm through the rope, knowing it would inevitably pull my shoulder. I pulled twice, and the rope began reeling itself up. "Hold on Roach, you needed-"

"I know. It's the best... I can do." My mouth was having difficulty moving as I was being frozen solid. "Cold." The rope wasn't able to be felt from my body temperature being so low. It should hurt a lot more right now. At least the air was easier to breathe. I think the rope was faster this time.

"Roach, can we go faster? Your internal temperature is-"

"Go."

The rope had taken a moment before speeding up. It already was going faster but maybe they will only pull up a body in hibernation. Everything felt slow. My eyes couldn't shift about quick, my toes couldn't wiggle, it was hard to tell if I was scraping up the side of the snow tunnel or not. I was able to breathe better at least.

"hibernate." I couldn't form a full sentence to dispatch. Hopefully, he knew enough about my quirk after all these years.

"Thirty minutes, Roach."

"Mhm." I couldn't promise him. I shut my eyes and let myself stop worrying and getting in the way of the mission. I could only wait it out. Too bad I couldn't see more of the world. Maybe I should have just stayed home today? Maybe then I would see Tsu again. Maybe I could see Hanta and his family this Christmas. Take off work and go have tamales with his family, yeah that sounded nice. Maybe have some soup with Tsu tomorrow? We were supposed to have a girls night, watch some bad movies, maybe even my favorite JAWS.
We had the popcorn, gummy worms, chocolates, everything all ready to go. Too bad I might not enjoy it. It would suck for all that food to go to waste.

———————————————
1271 words.