21.

"Take deep breaths."

It was all I could do. All I could tell them...

Where are the paramedics!? They were supposed to be here thirty minutes ago.

I was yelling and shouting orders at the younger heroes so that they could do what they could to help out these civilians.

I could see a news reporter already on the scene, getting ready to make a report.

"Somebody get that reporter to get an ambulance! I don't care if we have to air lift people in the news helicopter, get on it! Let's move people!" It was like some of them went into shock.

Yeah, they were only kids. Kids who just got their internships, but I can't let them sit around and do nothing.

"Y-YES! ON IT!" The young kid was sprinting and barking orders to the reporter who listened.

Everyone was hustling about.

Fumbling with their tool belts.

It was a mess, how could they send such green people.

I felt horrible. Crime rates had began to drop, but when a gang incident happens and get innocent people involved... it is heart breaking.

Just a small corner shop on a busy Thursday morning.

Wrong place at the wrong time.

Just a happenstance that anyone could be affected by.

It could happen and nothing could even be done about it.

Not a single man, woman, child is safe.

And these victims certainly do not feel safe being in the hands of a 27 year old pro who has been doing this since they were 15, much less a newbie who has zero prior experience.

I kept up the CPR on and it had been thirty minutes. I could feel the woman's heart beat once and again, she had come to and then quit again.

You could never do anything right.

Fuck I need to take my meds.

"Get me details!" A extremely lost individual that I could see the gunshot injury on their arm, started looking through the ladies wallet helping me. I got her back and she seemed to try and faint as I kept going till her heart was beating on its own.

"This photo is of her two kids, pigtails and everything!" I nodded and began trying to talk with her to keep her fighting. She stayed with it, but she was dazed.

"You got this sir, you're doing great. I need you to keep her occupied, theses rookies need my help." I felt better now that she was breathing. Hopefully she won't be in a coma.

"O-okay, are you sure-" He didn't even get to finish asking me whatever it was, I was already focusing on compartmentalizing the information around me. It helps when dealing with such a situation or else it is easy to get overwhelmed.

I ran to the next wounded, and the next, everything was a blur. The news reporter didn't bother even with the news report, thank goodness she was helpful. Not to mention the interns with strong quirks moving traffic and onlookers to get the ambulances closer.

I cinched a tourniquet down on some man's leg, cleaned what was left of a kid's finger, and watched someone die in front of their father.

Today is off to a terrible start.

Eventually, everything was taken care of. I knew this was not going to be good from the press. I was one of the only senior heroes at the incident, so of course the blame would be shifted onto myself. Only time I ever seem to get press is if I am the one getting blamed.

I'm to blame for not handling the situation better. It's true probably... maybe I should have sent people to move traffic sooner? But the aftermath of the large vehicular crash and chase left the road difficult to traverse. Other heroes were meant to be on it while we dealt with the shooting. Where was the back up?

I traced the bruises on my skin as I stood in my shower. I got my ass beat by 17 guys and then somehow managed to outlast them. I was glad that the interns stayed out of the fight like I asked. They would have been seriously hurt. I mean my bruised ribs were nothing to laugh at, but if those kids froze up at a civilian wound then... what would happen if someone had the intent to kill them...

I lathered the conditioner into my hair as I silently brought my thoughts back together. What a horrible day... and it's not even over yet. Soon the water washed everything away. I needed a shower before I even dare try to take a bath to help with the inflammation in my body. I could hear my phone vibrating on the counter, once... twice... and then finally the ringtone, it was the sound I chose, sirens.

"Just great." I turned the water off and wrapped a towel around my body quickly and hit answer and speaker on my phone.

"Roach, great we need you to come back out on the field. West Kanju Blvd, it appears that some suspicious activity is going on at the moment-" I was biting my tongue for years and this was getting ridiculous.

"Brandy have you ever thought maybe I don't want to pull another 4 hour patrol?" I was brushing my hair out as I styled it back. "What if I have something to do? Or I have already worked 18 hours during a very intensive day and quite frankly am extremely exhaused, and you are telling me I need to go back out on patrol? Oh, wait that is what you are doing."

"I don't care for your sarcasm. Get back out there." I didn't want to get back out there, I wanted to actually get to sleep for 6 hours without some crisis calling me out of the bed.

"Brandy- I really don't think I should be going out into the field right now-"

"Look you, are at best low tier pro hero. You don't get a say in when you go out, work harder and maybe you can get to pick and choose when you work. Until you get to a significant standing within the ranks then maybe you will have someone who gives a shit." With that she hung up.

"Damnit."

——————————————

1018 words. well this was shorter than the last but it felt like a good stopping point.

I am curently writing this portion pre emptively from a hostpital. I also gave up on spelling with my laptop at this point. yeah normally i write on my phone but my irl sitation- techically in the past when you read this- is that i have to pee and man do i really like muching on pecans while in a waiting room.

Anyway for those wondering what on earth is going on, depression and  👑anxiety👑 is the answer. Btw I might have been supposed to have wrote an essay but instead over came my writing block and have wrote 12 more chapters in a day and a half. Oops.