Chapter XLII

The princess clutched the piece in dismay and turned to everyone who was present. Raising the single shard above her head, she swore that they would move on and train harder than ever.

Though she wasn't dead, it still had hurt her to lose her counter, as they were very close due to being the same person.

(Y/n) gave her a comforting smile and took the child in her arms. With her being so depressed, Holly didn't return the embrace. Once (Y/n) had let go of her, Holly plopped down the hall and back to the library. Angelica and Ebony were whispering to one another discretely, sounding very distressed by their theory. Both maids shared the information with Meta Knight and he nodded in agreement. What were they on about that was so secret that she shouldn't know?

As they walked back to the library, (Y/n) was approached by Ebony, who let them in on their discovery,"If that mirror world version of her is crazy, then how do we know that she isn't crazy too?! They're the same person and that means she could be a bit of a lunatic. If I were you, I'd keep my eye out for any sus behaviour.."

The logic made sense, there was a possibility that they shared the same mental traits as one another.

(Y/n) huffed in disbelief as she thought more and more about what she'd been told. The logic wasn't wrong but..she'd been so helpful towards them and looked to mean no harm.

Then again, she could be as deceiving them, leading them astray into a battle of mayhem for her own personal entertainment. For now, they didn't know if she were playing with them as if they were her puppets.

(Y/n) gave a sigh, why couldn't everyone just be trustworthy?

The royal blood lead them on, swinging open the vast doors that the library sat behind. Once all of the heroes and the Queen had entered, she slammed the doors behind her hurriedly. Then, she put her back up against the door and spread her wings to keep it shut. Putting a finger over her lips, she shushed everyone inside. Whenever they made a noise, she would advise them to be absolutely silent.

A pin could drop and be heard clatter to the floor, it was that silent.

It was made obvious why she had been so hasty to quieten them when a series of shouts could be heard from the halls.

From what could be heard, it was deciphered that a prisoner had escaped and was wrecking havoc in the castle. Many knights that were patrolling the castle attempted to apprehend him, as he mercilessly swung at them with a sword he had found on the wall.

Once it had silenced, the princess carefully opened the door. The scene behind it was horrific.

Blood had spilt everywhere, colouring the marble floors crimson. The prisoner, who looked like an average 60 year old man, was being pulled away to the dungeons. A guard had put a chain around his neck and put him in cuffs. A collection of fresh wounds had been put on his body after his failed attempt of escape.

Timidly, Angelica asked a question that all of them had on their mind,"What..what did he do to be locked away..?"