Chapter 3: Waiting

Well, here it is, the third chapter, I hope it comes out ok. Thank you AndaPanda123 for commenting.  So hopefully this one will be less intro-y.

As expected, I do not own The Vampire Diaries, I only own the plot of this story. Hope you enjoy,

xxx

Chapter 3: Waiting

"Do I know you?" He asked looking down as he stood over me at the dinner table. Here he stood, the man who caused all my problems, all my pain, and he was standing right in front of asking if he knew me. Well of course you know me, you tried to kill me, you tried to kill my friends and you are the reason why I'm here. That's what I wanted to say, but I couldn't. How could I say that if I couldn't even open my mouth to form a sentence? But I had to say something, and I couldn't blow my cover. He was watching me, waiting for a response, and eventually one came out.

"I don't know. Do you know me?" I asked looking up at him confused.

"Niklaus don't be rude." Ester chided her son, "Your brothers found her in the woods with no memory, except her name."

"Caroline." I said as I offer him a hand to shake.

"Niklaus, how did you lose your memory?" He asked curiously as he shook my hand.

"Well, if she knew she would probably have her memory, wouldn't she?" Kol chimed into the conversation, as Klaus sat down across from me. I wished I could finish him off now, but I couldn't make that kind of mess. Like Bonnie told me, I needed to take my time, get them all to trust me. Elijah sat down next to me and introduced himself.

"I am Elijah." He said plain and simple, which I appreciated.

"Caroline" I repeated and again offered my hand, but Elijah did not do what I expected. Instead of shaking my hand he raised it to his lips and gently kissed it. I couldn't help but blush slightly.

I turned back to my food, and Finn introduced himself as well before we began eating. It was a very open and friendly meal, everyone talked and laughed and joked. I'd never sat through a meal like that before, and I realized I liked the mood that surrounded it. It was nothing like at home, where it was just me or mom, both worrying about something, so this meal was somewhat comforting.

Unfortunately, the meal ended far too soon, and it was time for some much needed sleep. All the boys headed up, leaving Ester, Rebekah and I alone, so they could set me up for bed.

"We luckily have a spare bedroom that you may use, usually it is used for the sick that are in my care, but it will suffice." Ester said leading up the stairs to a hallway full of bedroom doors. "It is in between Rebekah's and Niklaus's rooms. Rebekah will lend you clothes." She nodded to Rebekah, "Good night girls." And with that she walked to the door at the end of the hall and closed the door behind her.

Rebekah smiled and took my hand to lead me into the room. She walked to a chest in the room and handed me a night gown.

"We can wash your dress tomorrow. I would hate to see such a beautiful dress go to waste. It's amazing, I've never seen a blue dress like this, let alone blue dye. Where did you get it?"

"I . . ."

"Right, I'm sorry. I should, umm . . ." Rebekah mutters as she looks around the room.

"It's alright, it's not that big of a deal." I told her reassuringly. She turned to me, gave me a smile and a hug.

"Good night, Rebekah. Sweet dreams." I said as she walked to the door.

"Sweet dreams, Caroline." She repeated, grinning at me, as she closed the door behind her.

She was sweet, she loved her family and she had no real friends.  I wish she was like this in my time. I would have happily been her friend. But then it dawned on me, what was going to happen tomorrow? What was I to expect?

Tomorrow, I'd have to join their way of life. I'd have to do, who knows what kind of chores. I was frustrated, I thought about Bonnie and Elena. Elena would have realized I was gone by now, she probably won't forgive me easily when I get back.

"If I get back." I said out loud. I suddenly jumped when I heard a small knock at the door.

"Yes?" I asked, curious of who would come check on me. I watched the door as it opened slightly, and Henrik came into my room.

"Are you ok? I heard you pacing." He asked, shyly. I looked at Henrik, he must have been the one to make sure everyone was ok, and worried about everything.

"Yes, I'm fine, just trying to remember." I told him, trying to keep him from worrying about me as well.

"What do you remember?" He asked, as I saw that same worried expression cross his face. I sighed and sat down on the bed.

"I remember that I woke up in the woods, there was a flash of color, and then I woke up here. So I remember nothing." I told him, the frustration clear in my voice. He believed me, I was playing the part well, I told to myself.

"I'm sure you'll remember soon, you did hit your head in the woods." He told me hopefully. He really was a sweet kid. "Trust me, everything will be better in the morning." He told me with a friendly smile and left the room with one last thing. "Sleep well."

I decided he was probably right, tomorrow will help clear things up. I lay down on the bed and pulled the covers around me.

"Bonnie, please send me a message soon." I whispered out loud before I slide deep into sleep.

Xxx

a/n: I hope you liked it. If you have any questions, suggestions, or anything feel free to send them to me. Please comment!

Thank you all for taking the time to read my story.

DramaticInvisibleGirl