Chapter 17: Tears Turn to Rain

And the drama continues.  I hope you enjoy this chapter.  It was surprisingly hard to write, or maybe I was dreading it a little bit.  Either way, it is complete and ready to read.  Please tell me what you think.  =)

There is a picture of Abigail to the side.

I do not own The Vampire Diaries, though I do own the plot, Prudence, Matthew and Abigail.

Chapter 17:  Tears Turn to Rain

    Soon later I was heading down the main rode of the village, watching the people as I passed by.  I was startled when the door of the house I was passing closed and two familiar faces passed in front of my eyes.

    Niklaus and Kol.

    Klaus seemed almost as surprised as I was, where as Kol just had a slight smile on his face.  "Hi Caroline."  He said, I suppose he was trying to ease the tension that was between Klaus and I.

    "Kol, what are you doing here?"  I asked, still being very confused.

    "Oh, just confirming a hunch."  He answered as I looked between the two of them.  Kol was still smiling, and Klaus, Klaus was studying me.  I tried to ignore it and continued my conversation with Kol.

    "What hunch?"  I asked him.

    "That you aren't Abigail."  Kol finished.

    "I know that."  I replied simply.

    "Wait, what?  You knew?"  Klaus demanded and I nodded at him.  "How?"

    "I talked with Abigail's fiance, and I had a feeling ever since I met Prudence."  Kol nodded understandingly.  Klaus muttered under his breath and I could barely make it out.  Though I thought he said, 'I'll never understand her.'  I slightly chuckled to myself.

    "So, does that mean you've come to bring me home?"  I asked teasingly as a smile spread across Klaus's face.  "Because it's not going to be that easy."

    "What do you mean?"  Klaus asked as his puzzled expression returned.

    "Prudence is in denial.  She knows in her heart that her daughter is dead, but she refuses to accept it.  She keeps reaching out hoping to convince someone that her daughter is alive so that she doesn't have to accept that she's alone.  It's the first stage of grief."  I explained to them and Kol nodded in agreement.

    "Then how do we convince her that you're not Abigail?"  Klaus asked.

    "We look for someone who was close to Abby.  Matthew."  I finished and then walked off in the direction of the stables with the two boys behind me.

    "Wait!  Who's Matthew?"  Klaus asked with a sudden ring of jealousy in his voice.

    "Abigail's fiance."  I said over my shoulder as I continued walking.  We soon arrived at the stables and there I saw Matthew mucking our the stalls.

    "You're back."  He said when he noticed me walking towards him, with Klaus and Kol on my heels.

    "Yes, you said you would do anything for Prudence, right?"  He nodded in response.

    "Then I need your help."  He looked at me, confused.

    "I can't stay here, it's not my place.  And you know the only way for Prudence would let me go is if I prove to her I'm not Abigail.  And who knew Abigail better than you?"  I asked and Matthew mulled it around in his head before nodding again.

    "I'll help."  He answered as he wiped his hands off on his pants and then followed me as I turned once again, this time heading to Prudence's.

    I took a deep breath before pushing the door open and striding into the main room.  The house was now completely clean, abnormally so.  I walked further in and saw Prudence sitting on the sofa, reading.  Suddenly her face lit up and she stood to give me hug.

    "Abigail, you brought company."  She said as she hugged me and then she had a sneezing fit.

    "Are you ok?"  I asked in concern.

    "Yes dear, I'm fine.  I guess the lavenders are in bloom.  We are both allergic you see."  Prudence said to Klaus and Kol behind me.  The two guys shared looks.

    "Ah!  Matthew.  I'm sure you're glad we have our Abby back."  She grinned at him and he nodded solemnly.

    "Prudence, we need to talk."  Matt said as he took the woman's hand and led her to sit on the sofa again.  Matt and I sat opposite of her and Klaus and Kol remained standing.

    "Yes dear?"  She looked curiously between us.  He glanced over at me and I sighed.

    "I'm not your daughter."  I told her slowly.  She had this baffled look on her face at first, and then she chuckled uncomfortably.

    "Of course you are, sweetie."  She said.

    "No, she's not, Prudence.  Sure she looks like Abigail, but she's not."  Matthew chimed in.

    "What do you mean, she's not Abigail?"  Prudence asked him. 

    "Her eyes are different, her smile is different.  She's afraid of horses."  Matthew said.

    "I'm not allergic to lavenders, I actually washed my hair with lavender oil today.  It was a gift from Ester."  I added in.

    "She's not Abigail."  Matthew finished, his eyes shining with tears.  Prudence's eyes shown with confusion, then shock and then denial.

    "If you aren't Abigail.  Then who are you?  And where is my daughter?"  Prudence demanded, her voice suddenly full of bitterness.

    "I'm Caroline.  And I'm sorry, but I don't know where Abigail is."  I answered sadly, and that was when Prudence went off.  Suddenly she lunged at me.

    "You're lying and you have no right to call her that!!"  She yelled as she tried to rip me from my chair, and rip my hair from my head.

    "Whoa!  Prudence!"  Matthew yelled as Klaus, Kol and he restrained her.  I pulled back, shocked speechless by her reaction.  She kept fighting against the boys, trying to reach for me.

    "Any ideas?"  Klaus asked.

    "I think I've got one, hold on."  I answered quickly as I grabbed a candle from the window, lit it and then began chanting in that same language as before.  I had no clue where it cam from.  Somewhere deep inside of me?

    "Recesserunt velum inter vitam et mortem.  Videant carissimo qui recogitet corde.  Iterum audistis quia verum focis suis reddere."  The words flowed from my mouth and the meanings through my head.  Pull back the veil, between life and death.  Let them see one dear to heart.  Once they've heard the truth, return her to her hearth.

    Suddenly a thick smoke came from the candle, and it began to dim.  The entire house was dark, and then a soft, white light began to rise.  When I looked closer, and I saw it was a person, a girl.

    "Abigail!"  Matthew gasped as he looked into her face, her bright blue eyes.  She had long blonde curls coming down past her shoulders and an understanding smile.

    "Matthew.  Mother."  She said in a soft, but confident voice.

    "Abigail."  Prudence said, her voice full of shock and amazement.  She had fallen to her knees, tears streaming from her eyes.  Abigail reached our for her mother and Prudence stood.  Abigail wiped the tears from the woman's face and then reached out for Matthew's hand.

    "I'm so sorry.  I was foolish."  She told them.  "It was my fault that this happened, no one else's."  She said looking directly at Matthew.  "There was nothing you could have done.  You need to stop blaming yourself."  He nodded and squeezed her hand.

    "Mother, I'm gone.  There is nothing anyone can do about it.  Just know I'm happy here, and so is Father."  She said to her mother, squeezing her hand as well.  Prudence nodded to her.

    "I'm so sorry, Abby."  She with her tears continuing.

    "You have nothing to apologize for."  She smiled.  "I love you both, but now it' time for me to go."  Matthew nodded solemnly.

    "No.  You have to stay here, with me."  Prudence demanded of her.

    "I can't, it's not my place anymore.  I'm dead."  She replied calmly.

    "No, you're not!  You're my daughter and you belong with me."  Prudence practically yelled at her.

    "I'm sorry.  Goodbye."  She said sadly squeezing both of their hands in hers one last time, and then the light faded.  The foom slowly regained the light that it had lost and the candle was now out.

    "NO!  Abigail!!"  Prudence yelled at the now empty space, tears falling harder than before.  Then she stormed out of the house.

    I looked around the room, seeing Kol and Klaus looking around in amazement.  Matthew though was staring at me.

    "You're a witch, huh?"  I nodded in response.  "Thank you."  He said, his eyes still gleaming but he seemed to breath easier.  Like a giant weight was lifted off of his shoulders.

    "No problem."  I answered and then walked over to Kol and Klaus.

    "Nice work."  Kol said, congratulating me.

    "Thanks, I'm just a little worried about Prudence.  She didn't seem to take that well."  Klaus nodded in agreement.  "Should we go after her?"  I asked.  Then I jumped from a boom that I wasn't expecting and then a continued thumping on the roof as the sky darkened and the clouds gathered closer.  "Is that rain?"

    "Yes!  It's the first time it's rained in months.  First time, since Abigail died."  Matthew answered, with a new excitement in his voice.  We all left the house, we were marveling at the rain.  We headed the direction Prudence ran, I was getting nervous.  I had no clue what she would do.

    "I have a bad feeling."  I told them.  A thunderclap followed my statement, seemingly telling me that I was right.  Something bad was going to happen.  The rain came down harder and the dirt roads were now mud.  I followed my gut feeling, and walked straight into the woods.  The same direction I had gone with Matthew earlier.

    I glanced back at Matthew and he looked into my eyes, and then a sudden panic flooded his, he nodded and then led the way through the woods on foot.

    We soon approached the cliff once again, and I saw a shadow standing on the edge.  We came closer and then Matthew spoke.

    "Don't."  He said, and she glanced back at him.

    "I have to.  I have to be with them."  She answered, her eyes bloodshot and her clothes were drenched.

    "Please."  Matthew begged, taking her hand in his.

    "No."  She answered, ripping her hand our of his and plummeting into the river below.  I gasped as hot tears now fell from my face to the ground.

    "NO!"  He yelled, reaching our to grab her, but he missed, nearly falling off himself.  Klaus, Kol and I all reached our to pull him back from the muddy slope.

    "She's gone."  Kol told him.  "She's where she wanted to be."  Klaus reached down and pulled me up, and then encased me in his arms protectively as I cried.  "We should get home."  Kol said and the other two men agreed.  They dragged Matt and I from the cliff.

    As we trudged through the mud back to town, I noticed a flicker in the trees.  A person with long dark hair.  I shook it off.  I must have been imagining things.

    We soon arrived back in town.  I walked up to Matthew and gave him a hug.  "Goodbye."

    "Goodbye, Caroline."  He responded as he wiped a tear from my face.  The guys nodded to each other and then we went our separate ways.  Kol pulled up two horses, mounting one.  Klaus mounted the other, and then held our a hand for me.  I took it and then was seated behind him on the horse.

    "It's ok.  Just hold on to me."  He said with a soothing voice.

    "Thank you."  My hero had saved me again.

A/N:  And that is the end of Prudence.  No, she is not coming back, just to let you know.  Anyway, what did you think of the chapter? 

Please let me know, and what are your final thoughts on Prudence, Abigail, and Matthew.

To be honest I was really surprised how so many were instantly against Prudence and thought she had a hidden agenda.  But I guess that's because I knew her whole story and saw her differently.  I personally feel bad for her, but anyway.  Curious what you all thing now.  ;)

Ok, competition.  Please tell me what you see happening in the story, whether it be in the near future, later on, or the ending.  Most detailed, crazy or even most accurate will get a dedication.

Thank you so much for reading my story!  =D

DramaticInvisibleGirl

If any of you are also authors of a TVD fanfiction, I would like to encourage you to enter a TVD competition that I'm hosting with a friend.  All you have to do is enter.  =)  @DiariesOfVampFiction