Chapter 14: Saying Goodbye

I feel really bad it took this long to update.  I really need a new computer, this thing never works!! Anyways, here is the new chapter.  Next time, I hope to post immediately after I get my quota.  =)

This chapter is dedicated to AndaPanda123, for all the encouragement.  =D

I do not own Vampire Diaries.  I do own the plot of this story, Benjamin and Prudence. 

Chapter 14: Saying Goodbye

Rebekah looked down at her feet. She seemed to be hoping if she didn't say it, it wouldn't be true. She was nervous and avoiding eye contact. "They agreed that you would go back with her, she will be coming to take you a way at twelve."

“What?  How did this get agreed to?”  Why would anyone agree to this?  None of this was supposed to happen, it wasn’t supposed to be this way.  The confusion was sweeping throughout my mind, raking in everything trying to find some answers to my questions. 

Rebekah and I continued walking into town, but I was silent.  I was wrapped so deeply in my thoughts that I didn’t even notice people were speaking to me.  I just went straight into the house, up the stairs and into my room.  I grabbed my bag from the future that I hid under the bed.  I put it on top of the covers, then headed over to the dresser and pulled out the few dresses that Rebekah had given me when I first arrived.  I pulled them out and went over to stuff them in my backpack as well, when suddenly I heard a loud clank on the ground.  I placed the clothes in the bag, and then turned to see what I had dropped.

It was the necklace, Elena’s, the one Klaus had given me.  I picked it up by the long silver chain.  I hadn’t taken a look at it in at least a month.  I sighed, but I couldn’t stop the smile tugging at my lips.  Against my better judgment, I clasped the chain around my neck, but hid it under the thin fabric of my dress.  If you looked close enough you could see the circular bump under the blue cloth.  I smiled again, and then continued packing.  I had decided that I would go with Prudence.  If I spent time with her, I was sure she would realize I wasn’t her daughter.  Then I would return to the Mikaelsons and finish my mission.  I was sure that I would be back here soon, that I was absolutely positive.

I grabbed my bag and headed into the hallway.  I was startled when I turned the corner and ran directly into someone.  I took a step back and looked up into his face.

“Nik-“I started to say as he cut me off, and pushed me up against the wall.  Both of his hands were securing my wrists against the wall, to make sure I wasn’t going anywhere.  He chastely kissed me, and even though it was small I still felt fireworks.  Then he slowly moved his lips down to my ear.

“Don’t go, Caroline.”  He whispered in a low, husky voice.  His body was pushed slightly into mine, and just the touch of his skin caused me to lose all sense of reason.  He seemed to be struggling with himself.  I could tell by the look in his eyes that he wanted to kiss me again, but he wanted to make sure I would stay first.

“Niklaus.  I can’t.”  I sighed, looking into his eyes.  Today they looked deep blue, like a troubled sea after a storm.  I wanted him.  I couldn’t believe that I had not only warmed up to Klaus but I actually liked him.  In that instant every nerve in my body was telling me to stay, to kiss him, but then I heard a voice in my head.  Elena’s voice, seemingly my voice of reason.