Chapter 25: The Last Attempt

The final chapter. This is it. The last one to come. The closing to an amazing journey. I would like to thank all of you for your dedication to this story, through the twist and the turns and the maturing of the characters, as well as myself. This is the first story I have ever completed, and the feeling of accomplishment is washing all over me. I would never have gotten this far in a million years if it wasn't for you, so thank you all so much!

This last chapter is dedicated to Sophie_Juniper!!! Thank you so much for your dedicated reading and comments. I really appreciated you putting your thoughts and opinions into your comments. As a thank you for your support, I have followed you and I intend to read your stories as soon as I get the opportunity. As I suggest everyone else do the same. =D So, anyway, thank you.

So, on to the ending. I hope you guys like it! Let me know what you think!

I do not own The Vampire Diaries. I do own this plot, and all original characters.

Chapter 25: The Last Attempt

Caroline's P.O.V.

Nik and I took our time walking to the Mikaelson Family Cave. We filled our distance with small talk between joined hands. When we did reach the cave, Ester was pacing nervously as she went to check that everything was in order. Her stressing was very clearly making everyone else in the room nervous. Once Rebekah saw us though she hurried over, next to me. The following instant, Benjamin had burst through the door behind Nik and I. He was doubled over, clutching his knees as he tried to catch his breath. Just as he was about to speak, I heard Ester exclaim.

"Where is Henrik?!" I could here Mikael's sigh from across the room.

"He's probably still at the house. I'll go fetch the boy." He said as he slipped passed his wife, around us and through the door.

"I don't think he's at the house." Rebekah whispered urgently to me. It was clear that she didn't want to worry her mother any further, but she was quite concerned. After Benjamin was finally breathing regularly, he joined in, though his eyes were wide and surprisingly full of fear.

"I heard that Henrik was going to be with you two." He said guesturing to me and Niklaus. "Something about watching the wolves turn tonight." I suddenly felt my blood begin to freeze. There's no way that this was it. This couldn't be. I mean after everything, there is no way this is happening. I took a step closer to Nik and grasped his arm firmly.

"We have to go." I told him, as I looked him dead in the eyes. My worry was transparent. He nodded to me and moved in the direction of the door. I stopped him for a second and looked over at Rebekah. I quickly moved in and hugged her tightly.

"Try to keep Ester calm and make sure she doesn't leave." I whispered in her ear. She nodded as I took a step back. I took her hand in mine, and placed into it a thing I really didn't want to give up. "It's broken. Do you think you could take it to Ayanna to fix for me?" I asked her and she nodded again as she looked down at the silver locket in her hands.