Chapter 24: The Hardest Things to Say

A/N:  And here I deliver Chapter 24.  Sure to be the best chapter so far.  Well I suppose that could be debatable.  Anyway, this baby is a long one.  I hope you all LOVE it!  Please, please, please tell me what you think.  XD  Anyway, on with the story!!

I do not own The Vampire Diaries, but I do own any original characters and of course the plot.

Also, I just wanted to say how much I love you all, and how grateful I am for you guys sticking with me this far.  I know I can get a little behind on updating and having a hectic life that keeps me off wattpad, but I am just so thankful to have such great readers.  So, thank you so much!

P.S. - There is so PoV changes, so pay attention.

Chapter 24:  The Hardest Things to Say

*Caroline’s POV*

        It had been a couple days since all the fighting between Klaus, Elijah and Mikael had occurred.  Most of us had mellowed down, though the atmosphere between the three of them was still slightly uncomfortable.  I still tried to avoid Mikael altogether.  I was pleased, though, that I didn’t have to do that anymore with Klaus.  I was able to breathe easier around him, and not picturing scenes of his bloody death certainly helped.  The anger that I had towards him just seemed to disperse into the air after that hug.  I’m not sure what it is about him, his human emotions just seem to get the best of me.

        I was sitting on the sofa, reading after lunch.  It was only an hour or two after noon, so Rebekah and Ester were cleaning up the kitchen.  Kol, Henrik, Finn, and Elijah were sitting at the dining room table playing some kind of game.  Mikael was out working in his workshop, and Klaus was sitting in a chair across the living room from me, reading as well, supposedly.  I felt his eyes more on me than on his book. 

        Klaus had been doing that quite a bit lately.  I suppose he thought he was being subtle.  ‘Not always one of his strong suits.’  I chuckled to myself.  ‘It’s not really one of my strong suits either,’ I told myself as I glanced back at him when I knew he was looking at his book.  We kept doing this for a while, him looking at me, and when he turned away I would glance at him.  Then we caught each other’s eyes.  I expected my eyes to dart directly back to my book, but they were stuck.  My face suddenly flushed, and he seemed rather pleased with himself.  And that was when there was a loud rapping on the door.

        “Coming!”  Rebekah said as she came to answer the door.  The visitor continued knocking loudly, seeming very impatient.   “Hold on.”  Bekah said as she pulled the door open, by then Henrik was flanking her, and almost everyone was watching.

        “Please, can I come in?”  The girl at the door asked, nervously.  Bekah curtly nodded and held the door open so the girl could pass. Then she closed the door behind her.  By now she had the attention of the entire house.  I closed my book and put it to the side as I turned to look at the girl.  I knew she looked familiar. She was the girl from the town square.  The girl I tested that spell out on. Clarissa.  Her curly white blonde hair was a bit of a mess, and her sharp green eyes were darting around anxiously, almost like she was lost.