Chapter 22: A Lack of Subtlety

Welcome, my lovely loyal readers!  To Chapter 22.  I hope you enjoy your stay in the 10th century, and come visit as often as you can.  XP  I'm sure the Mikaelsons will throw a huge party for your arrival.  Just make sure not to share any secrets, shhhh.

    I do not own The Vampire Diaries, though I do own the plot and all original characters.

Chapter 22: A Lack of Subtlety

    "Father?"  Rebekah's voice came from behind me.  She stood up to give him a hug.  He returned it with a stoic smile.  After she broke her embrace, she glanced over at me and remembered.

    "Papa, this is Caroline.  She's been staying with us for the past few months."  She said, and I stood up to face him.  He was tall, and intimidating.  I wasn't really sure how to act or carry myself around him.  I was nervous after all the things that I had heard about him before, in my time.

    "Hello, sir."  I said, looking at him.

    "Hello."  He answered.  "Where is your mother and brothers?"  He asked Rebekah, almost ignoring me now.

    "They should be home soon, you know.  Daily chores and all."  She said and laughed.  He nodded.

    "I have somethings to do in town, I'll be back in a little while."  He said to us, smiling at Rebekah, and then he left the house.

    "Wow, he's . . ."  I said sitting down after he had left.

    "I know, he's like my mom, he doesn't open up fast to strangers.  But he's a really good man."  Rebekah said reassuringly as she sat back down beside me.

    "Where has he been for the past few months?"  I asked curiously.

    "He's a blacksmith."  She said simply.  "  He has his own forge on the edge of town, he's one of the only ones in this land.  So he forges swords, and metal pieces needed in these areas.  Then he goes around from town to town selling what he can.  He makes quite a bit of money from it.  Whenever he returns home we all celebrate."  Rebekah explained to me.  I nodded as she continued.

    "I see, should we make a big supper then?"  Bekah grinned at the idea.

    "That's a great plan!  I'll set up the kitchen and dinning room.  Do you want to go to the market?  Get whatever looks good."  She said eagerly, as she handed me a pouch of money and rushed off to the kitchen.  "It's good to have Father home."  I heard her say to herself as she started pulling out spices and other things she thought she might need.  I chuckled to myself as I walked out the door and towards the market.  It wasn't very large, but it covered all the requirements for a town this size. 

    I slowly walked down the isles, looking for the makings of a good welcome home dinner.  Potatoes, corn, maybe a turkey or a chicken.  All sounded good, though I couldn't seem to locate any of them.  I sighed as I continued wandering around, looking for them.  Until I heard someone clear their throat behind me.  I quickly turned to face them, and saw a warm smile.

    "Benjamin, hi."  I said looking up at him and smiling back.

    "What are you doing?"  He asked curiously.

    "Mikael is back, Rebekah and I are making a welcome home dinner."  I answered him. 

    "Oh, I see."  He said.  "Need a hand?"  He asked with a sweet smile.  I glanced over at him and grinned.

    "That would be great, thanks."  I said as we walked together through the stores.

    "So, I heard about you and Niklaus."  He said after a while, and I become uncharacterisically silent.