Chapter Nineteen - New Start

"Ummm .. that feels good." I moaned to her kisses.

Suddenly, she starts drooling, and that is when I opened my eyes. Charlie is standing on my chest, licking my face away. I looked around, hoping that it was not all a dream, 

but it was.

I am in my pretty much empty house. I must have fallen asleep after I got back from Charlotte's. The clock says it is now 9pm.

"You must be hungry, buddy," I said while patting Lizzie's head. She looks at me with her sparkling eyes.

"I guess I have to go to Ikea after all," I mutter, pouring food into Lizzie's bowl. I throw my hands up in the air, trying to stretch out all the achings I feel from sleeping on the hardwood floor. I let out a big yawn before dropping myself on the sofa. Lizzie came running to my lap. She is not a big eater; most of the time, she seems to eat just enough for her to get going.

"At least, I got you .. right?" I smile at her, who is now playing with a loose thread of my sweater.

-------------------------

Today is my first day at work. I am going to be working at my dad's company. It is a very small marketing company that kind of worth nothing, and that is the reason I get to keep it, instead of my family trying to sell it for some more money. So, since my dad passed away, Shane, who worked with my dad for a very long time, has been keeping the company running. I intend for it to stay this way, at least for now. I know nothing about the business, and he will have to teach me from the start. I am ready to learn.

I walk into an unfamiliar office, a bit nervous.

"Hi, Sam." A young-ish guy greeted.

"Hi," I extend my arm for a shake.

"We talked on the phone. I'm Shane," I thought he supposes to be older?

"Oh hi," why am I repeating myself?

"I've already prepared the room for you. I will be in the room right next to yours," he smiles, showing me the way to the room that used to be my dad's. I've been here a few times before I went to the US, so I was around 14 then. I did not remember seeing Shane then. He looks like he could be no more than 35 at most, which means he works here for.. around 15 years at most.

"If there is anything that you need, you can just call me," he said before letting himself out.

"Thank you, Shane," I said before dropping myself in my dad's chair. 'I'm back, daddy,' I think to myself. There is a picture of me and him (well, and my mom) on the table. Oh, how much I miss you.

The day went not too badly; there are things here and there that I need help with, but generally ok.

--------------------

"How was your first day, Sam?" Shane asks while I am clearing my desk, making sure not to forget anything here.

"Not bad; thank you for helping me getting through this," I said, putting my bag over my shoulder.

"So, what do people here do after work?" I asked.

"There is a bar just across the street. We normally just hang there on Friday, umm tomorrow."

"Great, maybe I should drop by then."

"Totally!"

"But I better go now," I said before saying goodbye.

I semi-rush home, thinking that Charlie probably went crazy by now.

---------------------