Chapter ThirtySix - A week

Sam's POV

It's me again. Yes, I did not keep my word yet again. I said there will not be anymore time apart, but there is a thing with work I need to do back in Germany so I am here again. Charlotte is following me here on the weekend, but for now, it will just be me. It is so cold without her. :(

------------------

Charlotte's POV

Sam left ... again. I am still feeling a little worried about things, but I will be fine. The last thing I do is to worry her. She got to do what she got to do.

I am preparing to go to work like usual, eating breakfast, feeding Charlie and giving her hugs. She has become a long cat, yea long, but still small compared to other cats her age.

"Charlie, mommy is going to be at work for just a few hours ok? I will see you in the evening." I inform my little baby before I get off to work.

Today is a nice day, but there is something in my gut that I do not like. I drive my good old Beetle to work like usual.

I got to work a little bit earlier than usual.

.

.

That's it. This is what I have been scared of.

.

.

---------------------

I came back home but still trying to comprehend what just happened today. It may seem like nothing, but I know it is something. After all the pressure I felt/imagined, it isn't something I can ignore. I have to call Sam.

"Hey."

"Hi. I can only talk for a bit, but what's up, baby?" I hear her voice from the end of the line.

"Sam, I got promoted .. I mean kind of."

"Congratulations, Charlotte, that's good news!"

"To work directly for your mother," I added.

"... oh"

"..."

"Charlotte, .. I will fix this, but I have to go now. I'm really sorry," then the line cut.

I kind of want her now, here, by my side. At least, to tell me that everything is going to be ok. Oh well, I get it that she needs to work, but still. So what do I do now. What will she do to me?

"Mark, can I go over to your place?" I weakly call my friend.

---------------------------

I bring my soulless body to Mark's place. I might be overthinking, but that woman made it clear that she hates my gut, so she did not just move me to be under her for my own good. That is for sure.

I rang the doorbell, and after just a second, the door cracked open.

"Hi Charlotte," Olivia greets.

"Hi,"

"Mark went to pick up Alexis from football, come on in. I will make you some tea."

I let follow her inside. We are somewhat good friends since she has been Mark's girlfriend for a while.

"So, how are you?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"I'm good." She thinks a bit and adds, "Nothing exciting really. ... how are you?"

My tears formed behind my eyes. I have never been this weak before, but I have worked so hard to be where I am today. I do not want to lose everything when it is not even my fault.