5. On the Road Again

"Got everything?" My mom asks as I roll my suitcase towards our front door, reaching over to grab my tote bag to help me. "All your toiletries? Phone charger?"

"I got it, mom." I slightly turn from her and grip onto my things. "Thanks."

"Are you sure about this?" She asks as I'm texting Gigi that I'm on my way. "It's not too late to stay. If you change your mind when you get there, call me and I'll pick you up."

I look up at her as I sigh. "Mom."

"You're going to be far away from home for weeks."

"Four hours away," I remind her, "with my best friends and wifi. It's not like this is my first trip away."

"So you know the protocol then. I want daily reports, Lacey. At least one text every day to Cam and me so we know you're alive. Send me the address of the house you're staying at. I want the names of everyone staying there as well. And keep your location on at all times. Anytime you leave the house, you're going to update us. Understood?"

I let out a dry chuckle. "Wow, so glad you trust me."

She narrows her eyes at me. "I do trust you, Lacey. But as your mother, it is my job to worry and protect you no matter where you are. So let me, okay?"

I quietly sigh, deciding not to argue back seeing as we only have a few minutes together before I leave for the trip. I can't blame her. After all, the last time I came home after being gone for weeks, I was a wreck.

As soon as I woke up this morning, I was anxious. My stomach churned at the thought of seeing my friends again after a rocky year with them. And to top it all off, I would see Harry after five of the longest months of my life.

"Okay."

I smile when she comes up to me and gives me a tight lasting hug. "I know I'm dropping you off but I want to get in as many hugs as I can."

"Love you, mom."

"I love you too Lacey." She pulls back and holds onto my arms. "Be safe. Send us lots of pictures."

"I will."

"Don't forget this!" Cam walks up to us with a blue reusable grocery bag filled to the top with a variety of snacks. "I went to Trader Joe's this morning after my run. In case you guys get hungry on the road, which I'm sure you will."

"Wow," I say as I take the bag from them and smile graciously, "thank you so much, Cam."

Right before my mom and I leave to head to Gigi's house, I give Cam a big hug goodbye. I pet Ziggy one last time and head out the door. I text Gigi when I arrive and stand in front of her front door as my mom heads off to run errands for her work. I also text Eli to ask when he would be on his way.

I look up from my phone when the door opens, expecting to see Gigi but get slightly thrown off when Margot stands in front of me.

JANUARY 7th, 12:31 am - LAST WINTER

"Lacey?" Margot's bare face appears behind the door, her hands clutching the white robe around her.

My chest quickly rises up and down as I stare back at her. My mouth slightly opens, wanting to speak but suddenly not finding the words to explain why I'm standing in front of her door.

"What are you doing here? It's late."

"I-I-" I whisper. I begin shaking my head, the words stuck inside my dry throat. "I'm sorry."

"Come in. Please." She softly sighs, her eyes looking across my face with worry as she steps aside to let me in.

I cross my arms over my chest to keep warm as I sit at the edge of the couch, looking around the living room as if it was my first time in this house while Margot makes us tea.