26. Summer Montage

I stop walking when a specific thought came to mind. Harry stops as well and takes two steps towards me when he notices, tilting his head at me in curiosity. His curls were carrying a few snow flurries that the light breeze blew over to us.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Is the restaurant at the lodge fancy?" My pursed lips glance down at my outfit. "I literally only brought jeans and sweats."

Harry's laugh makes my head snap back up at him. "So did I. Good thing we're already out shopping."

I follow him like a puppy after he nods his head in the direction we were walking in. We don't stop until a vintage shop calls our attention. A small bell rings when we walk in. A bright-eyed, redhead woman greets us behind the cash register.

At first glance, there's an array of bright colors and slightly outdated and modern clothes hanging on several racks throughout the small store. A slight cardboard smell lingered in the air as we made our way around.

"For us, it'd be a fancy-casual. Nothing crazy," Harry says, shifting a few garments to one side. "But for Jack and Darlene, thee fashion icons of New York—"

"I'm pretty sure I'm the fashion icon here." I chuckle, glancing mindlessly at the jackets he moved. "If I remember correctly, you're like my accessory."

"Then I'll be the best damn accessory." He turned his attention to a fluffy brown fur coat and pulled it out from the rack. "What about this?"

"You want to wear this to dinner?" I move my palm along the soft sleeve and turn the price tag over, nearly choking on my spit at it.

He shrugs again, laughing. "Why not?"

He stops laughing when he also looks at the four digits on the tag and slowly puts it back, quietly claiming Jack would never wear real fur anyway. I hear his footsteps behind me as I move to a different section and look at the dresses.

"So what? Are we going obnoxiously overdressed?" I laugh, turning towards Harry when he stands next to me.

He shrugs then nods, a small smile lifting his lips. "I'm sure we could find something here to make that happen."

I take out a blinding long silver dress covered with shiny sequins, beaded fringe down the sides, and a giant bow in the front. Both of us stare at it while I hold it up.

"Try it on." I laugh and look at Harry. I shake my head and put it back. "Why not? It's very on-theme."

"It's too much."

"I thought that was the theme," he retorts with a smile.

"No, the price." I point out the triple-digit on the tag. "Why don't we just change the theme to obnoxiously underdressed?"

"C'mon, you know that wouldn't be nearly as fun." My heart does a tiny flip at the smirk he graces me with before heading off the other side of the store.

Music from two decades ago plays overhead while Harry and I look through our different options, pulling out a few to try on later. After twenty minutes, I sat on the orange velvet ottoman in front of the four fitting rooms at the back of the store and wait until Harry shows me what he's picked out.

The first option was an all-white outfit, complete with a suit jacket and trousers. I giggled to myself when Holly, the worker, came over to accessorize the outfit with a matching top hat and Harry spun in place to give me the "full experience." After a few shared laughs and Holly's pressing to get him to buy the entire outfit, which we deemed a bit on the tackier side, he went back inside the room to change.