14. Hard Feelings

A gray sky hung over the mountain today. Snow flurries shook from the branches of trees all around us. We had thought that it was only going to be a few degrees colder here but we were rudely proven wrong as soon as we exited out of the car. Our puffer coats were zipped up all the way and our limbs were wrapped with every warm knit we brought.

The Sunny Bunny Ski Lodge has been around since the 1930s. It was a relatively inexpensive tourist attraction with a hotel, ski resort, and cafe in two huge buildings in the only true alpine environment nearby. It was also apparently in a few scenes of one of Jerry's favorite horror movies so it only seemed fit to spend his birthday here.

It did take us about thirty minutes to get here. The weather was much colder than any of us anticipated. There was all sort of signs of deep snow hazards and icy roads on the way up. Some skiing areas of the mountain were closed off for safety reasons. We even had to take a bus shuttle up to the lodge after we parked downstairs because the roads were too narrow and icy for multiple cars to be on them. These kinds of things that may have persuaded you to come another time when it's less busy and the weather is less inclement.

Frankly, I didn't care where we went today as long as I didn't spend it alone with my thoughts that would ultimately lead to me overthink the events that unfolded last night at karaoke.

I knew I had to deal with the consequences of the many Palomas I drank without hesitation and the words I uttered into the dark, foggy sky that I still haven't taken back— not to mention a confusing and secret kiss pressed onto my forehead. I knew sooner or later I would have to face them all and talk about it. I'd just prefer it wouldn't be while I was dealing my first mistake of the night.

I take another swig of the water I bought at the vending machine at the corner of the room. I have no clue how I survived the entire ride here up the slippery curved road. My nausea had slowly calmed the longer I sat still. I feared it wouldn't ever by the last circle around the mountain and I would almost traumatize a shuttle bus full of skiers and tourists.

"Who wants the last Milky Bar?" Gigi offers to the group before the guys went off to take advantage of the short time they had to sled down the mountain until the early closing time took effect.

"I do," Zayn says at the same time as almost all of the guys raised their hand for the snack. Gigi was about to mindlessly hand it over to him until Louis speaks up.

"Giving it to your boyfriend, Mr Vogue Fashionista Superstar? Totally not biased at all."

Zayn chuckles. "That has a nice ring to it."

"Sorry, I didn't realize all of you wanted it," Gigi retorts as she glances back at the guys with raised eyebrows.

"Give it here, G," Liam tells her, "I need my strength and focus today."

"It's just chocolate," Zoey says with a laugh. I rest my chin over my palm and watch this unfold from the other end of the table.

"Let's just split it," Niall suggests when they remain huddled around the candy bar.

"Can I get a big piece? I didn't get to eat breakfast," Harry says beside him, adjusting his pink beanie over his head.

"That's on you, pale-ass."

"It's not on me." Harry scowls at him then turns his gaze to Liam. "I only got two hours of sleep because of his stupid white noise playlist and loud fucking snores. Could fool anyone into thinking you're a damn bear."