Interlogue - The Life Of A Soldier

A young man sat on the bed of his room with his knees folded. He looked out of the window with tear streaked eyes to see dark clouds in the night sky. Thunderbolts streamed through the clouds as the soft pitter-patter of raindrops was heard from the tin roof.

The boy was 11 or 12 in age. Pale complexion and golden blonde hair along with blue eyes. He was a bit short among his age group with a skinny physique. He looked at his left arm to see 3 new red marks on his skin...

...Caused by his father's belt...

He winced when a loud crashing sound came from downstairs with a pained feminine 'Ahhh!' scream. That was his stepmother...

"...YOU USELESS TRASH! CAN'T DO A SINGLE THING PROPERLY! IS THIS THE BEER I ORDERED HUH?!"

SLAP!

Surge Sparks, the young boy turned his head to the side as he forcibly stopped his body from shuddering in fear when he heard those sounds from downstairs...His father was on it again...

From his childhood Surge knew that he wasn't very lucky. Especially so, when his actual mother died at the young age of 31 because of a car accident. It wasn't her fault really. A drunken driver had just randomly slammed his car into her while she was buying groceries. Since then, his father had changed.

He left his job of being an electrical engineer. He started taking alcohol on daily basis. And he joined a ragtag group of small gangsters called the 'Black Mightyena' who caused trouble in this peaceful city of Nacrene in Unova. Surge knew quite well what the injections in the drawer were...He knew what the white powder was too...It was called Cocaine.

Surge once used to love his father. A lot. So he tried to convince him not to do this...He never listened. On the contrary Surge became his regular punch-bag.

But today...He'd crossed all boundaries by starting to take out his anger on his stepmother who had married his father about 1 year ago. She was a kind woman. Surge soon started to like her and accepted her as a 'mother figure'. But not 'mother'. That honor only belonged to one woman only.

Today his father had barely avoided the police but one of his accomplices got caught. And that whomever-the-fuck-it-was revealed everything about their gang to the police. And so...Surge's father was angry. Even after venting out his troubles on Surge he didn't stop. He went forward to ruining the dinner made by his stepmother claiming it was 'bad'. And ordered his stepmom to bring him some beer which she did...But he wasn't satisfied.

And Surge was getting tired. Tired of his regular hellish life. He wanted to escape. He HAD TO escape. Surge clenched his hands in desperation and determination. He would escape -

...Creak...

"...B-Big br-brother?"

Before his train of thought could go forward the door to his room opened slightly with a creak and a little girl, about 4 or 5 years in age entered his room. The girl was also blonde. She had blue eyes like him too. She was Elesa [1]. His half-sister. She squeakily asked him as she entered the room and softly closed the door behind,

"...Y-yes lil' Ele?" Surge asked her with concern. Half-sister she may be...But he loved her like his own. The little girl giggled a little at being called 'lil' Ele'. That was her nickname. She loved it.

"...Can I stay with you today? Papa's really angry down there...Mama's crying too..." She murmured sadly.

"...Of course. Come here..." Surge nodded as he called out to her and tucked her in under the sheets of his bed. The little girl fell asleep soon.