Vermillion City - Part 4

"...And that's how it goes..."

There was palpable silence in the room as Surge finished his epic tale. Ash sat silently just comprehending the sheer unfairness in this world...He chuckled bitterly to himself.

First he had thought that he was unlucky. Fate slapped him on the cheek and spat at him, 'There's your companion Sophia who'd had it worse. Stop wallowing in your own pain and learn to see the world'. Then Ash had been a little more humble. This time Fate continued to bitch-slap him and scream, 'There are even worse conditions. Look at the man in front of you and learn something from him'. And wow...Don't these slaps hurt a lot?

Ash silently took a sip from the tea that was served to him and soon finished it. He looked at Surge and found quite a large amount of respect for the man. It had been 2 years since Surge had lost his wife to Cancer. But what she'd left behind was far more important to the ex-army commander. More so than anything in this world...It was Goldie. His precious daughter.

When the tea was finished Ash rose from his chair and formally bowed to Surge as the custom goes in Kanto, "...Thanks a lot for the invitation Gym Leader Surge. I will be sure to come back tomorrow for my challenge..."

Surge smiled at him and formally bowed in return, "...I await your challenge Ash..."

Not much was said after that as Ash left the Gym and went back to the Pokemon Center.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ash Ketchum was not amused.

He didn't know whether the scene in front of him was humorous or downright horrendous.

The room the he and Sophia had been sharing at the Pokemon Center was apparently a mess right now.

Sophia was curled in the corner of the room with a thick blanket covering her. She was shivering and periodically stuffing her mouth with some hot noodles and broth while sneezing and coughing occasionally. Apparently...Sleeping with a newborn ice pokemon last night had a heavy impact on her health. No innuendo intended.

Although she'd caught common cold far early than he had thought she would.

The little snow white fox pokemon was happily giggling and trying to bite a black hellhound pokemon's tail and there was Duskull trying to scare the Alolan Vulpix by trying to make faces at her.

Sophia's Houndoom was playing with the fox with a tired expression on its face. Duskull had no problems entertaining the little cutie pie though. The room was a mess. Clothes were scattered throughout.

"...H-Hi Ash...ACHHOOOO! *sniff**sniff*" Sophia said shakily from her corner with a sneeze. Damn this cold.

"...Hello Sophia...You've certainly made a wonderful mess out of this room...Thanks..."

Ahh yes...The patented scathing sarcasm. Sophia nodded sagely as she responded, "...You're welcome...And I appreciate the sentiment..."

'...Papa? Are you back?' Ash turned his face below to see the cute fox pokemon giving him an adorable look.

'...Yes Vulpix...'Papa' is back...Did you have fun with 'Mama'?' Ash asked the tiny fox that barely reached past his knees. She was an adorable little thing.

Vulpix made no surprised face seeing Ash speak with her...She was a baby, so she assumed that everybody could do that. She bobbed her head up and down and replied with a giggle, '...Mm Hm. Uncle Doom is funny! And Uncle Skull is funny too! Hehehe!'