lix. grief of eden

FIFTY-NINE,
grief of eden

FIFTY-NINE,grief of eden

⋆

NOTHING GOLD CAN STAY.

A poem — the first piece of literature Ella Samuels could recall.

From her youngest memory, those stanzas had been drilled into her mind, by the intimidating encouragement of her own mother. A result of a condition Ella never found reason to share; one of a stutter, that once stumped her beginning use of speech. Most specifically, of the letter S, to which she found herself often holding out on her tongue, prolonging the complex pronunciation to the point of which it must have incited worry in the woman.

Of course, that was many years ago. Taking place back in a world where a mother's most ultimate concern was that of her child's momentary stutter, back when Ella's knowledge of the English vocabulary was very slim.

Despite the years that passed, those words still remained ingrained into the muscle memory of her tongue, as a result of such determined lessons. When often faced with a scenario that confused her way of speech, the few, short stanzas happened to be her only savior, somehow using their implied ability to steady out her flow of words. The compilation managed to relax her nerves, tipping her automatic stutter to an ultimate correction, that continued to power through to that very day.

That particular day, Ella had found herself reciting those words once more, to the best ability of her memory. A result of her revived stutter, brought back from the dead for no apparent reason.

The girl had been in bed for the majority of the day, ever since she had awaken to see Carl absent from his usual side of the bed. An anxiety inducing phenomenon, that left her muttering in-between her own sheets.

"Nature's first green is gold, her early leaves,s," Squeezing her eyelids shut, Ella winced at the mistake of her mouth, all the while fighting with her memory of the accuracy of those lines, "Shit."

Beginning with newfound motivation, she took a breath of air, "Nature's first green is gold, her early leaves," Pausing once more, the girl opened her eyes, "Leaves, a flower. But only so," Stumbling one final time, "S,So an hour."