The things I did, just so I could call you mine

a/n: im just gonna start this update with the fact that olivia rodrigo's new album is fucking incredible. i just listened to the whole thing while writing this update and let me tell you i am obsessed. hope ur ok, traitor, happier and favourite crime are definitely my favourite though. my favourite verse is from hope ur ok and its: 

''She was tired 'cause she was brought into a world where family was merely blood. Does she know how proud i am she was created, with the courage to unlearn all of their hatred.'' 

it makes me want to cry omg so incredible. anyway enough with my rant xx

above is the song that the title is named after. this updates title is lyrics from this song. im going to go thru my old chapters and do the same xx

- author 

------------------------

Elena's POV

The face I saw at the door was a face that I did not recognise. I stood there confused for a second until I turned back to glance at Stefan. Stefan's face said it all. The person standing at the door of my house was definitely someone significant in his life, someone he decided not to mention. Now who was this handsome, young man standing at my door staring at me like I'm crazy. His eyes moved away from mine and focused on Stefan in the background, a smile grew on his face. He all but knocked me over as he barged into my house, walked over to Stefan and hugged him. Presumedly the man was his best friend, or used to be his best friend, by the look on Stefans face, the desperation for me to save him in his eyes, I presumed something happened between them. I walked over, arms crossed, confused as hell as to what was going on right now.

''What are you doing here?'' Stefan aggressively whispered. 

''I came to visit dear friend, is that so wrong?'' The man replied with a smirk.

''It is when I hate you. Now what are you doing here?'' He continues to whisper aggressively.

''I came to make up. You need to put on your big-boy scrubs and get over it.'' The man responded with a grin. 

''What you did is not something you just 'get over'.'' Stefan said at a normal volume, the anger clearly evident on his face and in his words. 

''Oh how rude of me, I didn't even introduce myself.'' The man said ignoring Stefan and holding his hand out towards me. ''I'm Lachlan Mackintosh, Mr Grumpy pants' best friend. But you can call me Lachie.'' Lachlan said with a sweet, but somehow manipulative smile. 

''Ex-best friend.'' Stefan corrected. I was right, something definitely happened between them and it was obvious it was Lachlan's fault.

''Elena Sloan.'' I shook his hand and smiled. 

''Stefan, can I speak to you privately? Now!'' I said calmly but urgently as I dragged Stefan by the arm into the kitchen.

''Who the hell is that and why is he in my living room?'' I said yelling quietly. 

''That's my ex-best friend Lachlan, and he's here to ''make up'' with me.'' Stefan said using air quotes. 

''I'm aware of that. I mean what happened in the first place to lead to him being in my living room telling you to forgive him?'' I said as I opened a cabinet and pulled out a glass. 

''He lied to me, pretty badly, and I don't know if I can forgive him. It's not even what he lied about, it's the fact that he's my best friend and he knew and he didn't tell me.''

''He knew what? What did he lie about Stefan?'' I filled up the glass of water and sat it on the table.

''3 years ago I was dating this girl Olivia. It was a pretty serious relationship, or so I thought. Turns out Olivia was cheating on me with a friend of mine, not Lachie, but Lachie knew the whole time and didn't tell me. I would constantly confide in him about my concerns about Olivia and he would just pretend to act oblivious as if he didn't know what was going on behind my back.''

''I understand, that was a really shitty thing to do, but he obviously feels bad and wants to make it up to you.'' I said sounding hopeful.

''But he lied, Elena. How can I trust that he doesn't have ulterior motives?''

''You can't. But Stefan, this happened 3 years ago. If he hadn't had lied, you wouldn't have moved to Seattle when you did, we wouldn't have met at Joe's that night. Nothing would be as it is now. Sometimes you need to accept the past and be grateful for it, even if it was shitty.'' He stared into my eyes, quickly pressed his lips to mine, grabbed the glass of water and we headed back to the living room.

Stefan's POV

''So you want me to forgive you?'' I said as I handed him the glass of water. We sat down in the living room, me and Elena on the couch and Lachie on the chair opposite. 

''I do. I think it's been long enough and you've clearly moved on with Elena.'' Lachie said gesturing to Elena.

''The fact that I moved on doesn't changed the fact that you lied Lachlan.'' I said as I tried not to get frustrated. 

''I didn't know who to be loyal to. I had one friend asking me to keep quiet and then there was you, peacefully oblivious. What you didn't know couldn't hurt you.'' 

''So you were trying to protect me?''

''Exactly.''

''Well, I don't want or need your protection. We are grown men, we can look after ourselves.''

''I know we can but we should still look out for each other, we've known each other our entire lives, we're basically brothers.''

''Which made it hurt even more. My own brother lied to me. But you know what? I'm going to forgive you because I don't want to dwell on the past anymore. Olivia is irrelevant and your lie got me to where I am right now.''

''Exactly, there's a bright side to everything.'' Lachie said with a smirk. 

''Well I'm glad you boys worked it out. Lachie, do you need a place to stay? I've got a spare room I could make up for you.'' Elena offered kindly. 

''That would be lovely, give me and Stefan a chance to catch up again.'' He said with a smile as he took a sip of his water. 

Finally the pizza arrived. Luckily, Lachie had already eaten so he didn't try and eat our food. I made up a room for him and we all went to bed. I presumed he was a surgeon too and that he would probably try to get a job at Grey Sloan. 

Turns out Lachie's arrival was the start of a very long, complicated story.