Why you still talking 'bout me like we together?

THANK YOU FOR 200 VOTES, 6.4k READS AND 300 COMMENTS THANK YOU I LOVE YALL

Elena's POV

''Ex-wife!'' I corrected him. ''We're not married anymore, we never really were.'' I tried to remain calm for Stefan's sake, I didn't want to hurt him even more. 

''Oh, but we are.'' Matt corrected with a grin.

''What are you talking about? I signed the papers years ago!'' I was beginning to get extremely annoyed. 

''Really? That's funny.'' He said smugly. I turned away from Matt and faced Stefan, he was clearly confused and hurt. 

''Stefan. It's not what it looks like, I promise! Just give me a chance to explain! Please, Stefan!'' I begged as he began to pick up his things and walk out into the pouring rain. 

''Why am I even surprised? This was too good to be true anyway.'' He strode over to the exit of the building, coat on and bags in hand, and waited for the sliding doors to open enough to fit through. I glanced angrily back at Matt before turning on my heels and running after Stefan. 

''Wait, wait Stefan! I can explain! This isn't too good to be true, there is an explanation, just hear me out!'' I begged while running after him out in the pouring, Seattle rain. 

''You've had so many opportunities to tell me! So many!'' He yelled back as we stood in the middle of the car park now soaking wet. 

''I know, and I didn't because I didn't think it was important.'' I admitted.

''Not Important!? Ar- are you insane? You have a husband, Matt, and you didn't think he was important, you thought that that small detail wouldn't be important in our relationship?'' Stefan yelled in the carpark not caring who stopped and stared. 

''That's just it! I didn't know he was still my husband! He mailed me the divorce papers year ago, I signed them and mailed them back. He emailed me telling me he filed them but he obviously didn't!'' I said trying not to make excuses for my actions, but give an explanation for the situation. I was so mad at Matt at that moment. 

''Nice story, you expect me to believe that?! I'm not a brain-dead moron! Stop making excuses for your lies.'' He began to turn his back on me.

''Don't turn your back on me!'' I yelled.

''I should have turned my back on you ages ago!'' He yelled back just as loud. 

''No, you shouldn't have! You love me, and I love you!'' I tried to salvage whatever we had left of our relationship. 

''Loved you.'' He corrected. 

''That's not true! You can't just turn it off, it's not a switch in the bottom of your heart. It's a feeling, a chemical. You can't change that in one minute.'' I defended. 

''Fine, I may still love you, but I do not love your actions! You are married and you didn't tell me!'' He dropped his bags on the floor and walked up closer to me. I broke the eye contact and noticed Matt running in our direction. ''Great! Here comes your husband!''

''Ex husband!''

''Not legally.'' His face dropped, the yelling stopped and the sound of the pouring rain filled the silence. 

''Matt, you've done enough! Just leave.'' I yelled at him. He came to my hospital, destroyed my relationship, and for what?

''I came to see you, I didn't mean to ruin your relationship.'' 

''Are you dumb? You called me your wife 10 minutes ago in front of him! I'm not your wife! I married you 5 years ago so you could make your ex-girlfriend jealous! That's it! You were a nice, desperate guy in need of a girl to pretend. We started dating, got married to make your ex jealous, broke up and then divorced! Stop talking about us like we're still together! Stop talking about us like we were in love! Because we weren't, or at least I wasn't! I love Stefan, I never loved you.'' I ranted to him, blurting out all the details. Matt stood there dumbfounded, unable to move or say anything. He had no defence, no argument against me because everything I said was 100% true.