love is so hard!

love is so hard! by The Millennial Club

——

Y/N's POV

The ride back to my apartment was quiet. Maya is still knocked out on my lap while I watch all the trees that pass by. It's dark out but the moonlight still managed to offer some light, giving it a full moon type vibe. My thoughts run around me as I'm reminded of who's right beside me. Lizzie's attention remains on her phone so she doesn't realize that I'm staring at her. The gentle light emitting out her cellular device gives me enough visibility of her face. She seemed agitated like something was bothering her. Instantly, all I want to do is ask her what's wrong so that I could make her feel better. Offer some solace that she clearly needs.

"You know, it's not nice to stare." Lizzie mumbles, pulling me out of thoughts. Damn, she knew I was staring? Now I'm embarrassed.

I scoff defensively, "who said I was staring?"

Lizzie rolls her eyes at me before placing her phone between her legs. "It's not nice to lie either."

"Whatever." I say softly, diverting my attention back toward the road. I play with Maya's baby hair to ease my mind because honestly all I want to do is be as close to Lizzie as possible. Is this even healthy? No, probably not but here I am still fantasizing about her. I couldn't stand the silence so I asked her, "everything okay? You seem stressed."

Lizzie sighs exasperatedly, "yeah, I'm just really tired that's all." That's a lie and I know it. I don't pry her though because I could tell she doesn't want to talk about it. "Y/N.."

I look at her, almost too longingly, "yeah?"

"Is it okay if I spend another night with you? I don't feel like going back to my house." Lizzie begged softly as she fluttered her emerald eyes at me.

"Of course Lizzie, you're more than welcome to. I meant what I said earlier at the park. If you ever need an escape, don't hesitate to come to me." I offer her a warm smile that I know she needs.

Lizzie gets a hold of my hand, intertwining it together. My eyes slightly pop out of my sockets, causing me to flinch at the touch but she doesn't realize it. "Thank you, it means a lot." She says gently before letting her head fall on top of my shoulder, compressing our hands together further. I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat as I could feel my heart trying to escape my chest.

Suddenly, my body freezes in place. I couldn't physically bring it to move. It's impossible. I could feel Lizzie getting more comfortable against me and it's doing something to my heart. It's like she knows my weakness and she still chooses to do it. She doesn't even need to try. I'm a sucker for her.

After we got back from my apartment, Lizzie took it upon herself and carried Maya inside instead of me. The little one still remained asleep despite the loud noises coming from the neighbors. She laid her flat in the middle of my bed, carefully tucking her in so she doesn't wake up.

I returned a few work calls while I paced back and forth in my living room. It wasn't too important. The club simply informed me about the schedule change for next week and how it would change the time I come in. I was probably on the phone for half an hour because Lizzie never came back from the living room. I figured she probably fell asleep as well because she looked exhausted the second we got back. I carefully open the door to my room, proving my assumption right. Lizzie is cuddled up with Maya in the middle of my bed. I admire the sight in front of me. My heart could not fathom the emotions stirring up inside of me. The way she is cuddled up together with Maya like she's meant to does something to me. I couldn't look away. I mean, how could I? She looks so goddamn perfect with the kid.