Chasing Cars

Chasing Cars by Sleeping At Last

____

Lizzie's POV

The next morning went a little slow. Y/N didn't have work today, so we ended up staying in so she could heal. She insisted on going somewhere, but luckily in the end, I was able to convince her.

"Stay still baby, this will only take a second." I told her for the third time as I'm disinfecting a few cuts that she has on her face. "This might sting a little.." I made sure to blow on the cut while the gauge dabbed with a little bit of rubbing alcohol touched her wounds.

Y/N flinched a couple of times but she didn't cry out in pain. As I'm staring at all of her bruises, I couldn't help but feel the ache in my heart. It hurts having to see the aftermath of what I could've possibly caused. Apparently, I'm not good at hiding my emotions because Y/N sensed my discomfort almost immediately.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Her voice is quiet, yet soft and comforting. I lowered my gaze to my lap, but she pivoted my head to look at her, "I know that seeing me like this is hard, but I promise you I'm okay." Y/N's warm smile shed some light into my heart. "Now, stop crying okay? Let's be happy and live in the moment." She swept the remaining of the tears off my face.

Our soft laughter filled the apartment, and for once since last night I finally feel better. I could finally breathe. After tending her wounds, we ended up on the couch binge watching a new show. The 100.

Every once in a while, I found myself stealing a couple of glances, admiring her presence. Everything about her moves me. While she watches tv, I'm watching her instead. She's far more entertaining. The way she would crinkle her nose whenever something happens that she doesn't like or if and when something interests her, reminds me of the many reasons why I fell in love with her in the first place.

Y/N is simple, yet breathtaking. When I'm around her, I feel complete. I feel like I could be myself without having to be afraid of being judged. She insists that she's the lucky one, but I beg to differ because she's naturally genuine at heart. She does little to grand gestures without having to think about it twice. Y/N consistency when it comes to showing me how much she truly loves and appreciates me doesn't go unnoticed. I see and feel everything she's pouring at me.

I didn't keep track of how many episodes we've watched so far, but, when I looked at her, she was sleeping. I moved as tactically as I could, gently placing her head on the pillow before tucking her in.

"I'll be right back, okay baby? I just have to take care of some things." I gave her forehead a kiss before leaving the apartment.

I drove to my destination with one thing on my mind. I'm determined to do what I have to do to set things straight before I could truly move forward with my future with Y/N. This is the least that I could do. I owe it to her and to myself. I can't have anyone from my past linger and hinder me from moving forward.

I knocked on the door twice, waiting for a response. When I heard footsteps coming my way, I straightened my posture, mentally preparing myself for what I'm about to do.

"Lizzie, I'm so glad that you came." Robbie attempted to give me a hug, but I pulled away. "Come in."

I walked inside his house, flashes of the constant distress that I would always find myself in played in my mind like a broken record. I almost wanted to see myself out, but I went there for a reason.

"I didn't expect to see you here." His voice was full of hope. "But, either way, I'm glad that you're here. I've missed you Lizzie. I miss us. How we used to be."