Chapter 14

***

            Darren wasn’t falling for my trick. Clint then came down with Gretta following behind him.

“So Clint, what happens now that I know?” I asked.

“I now can look after you, I can stay with you and care for you,” Clint said.

“What? No, that’s not happening,” I said a little too quickly and defensively.

“Here is the letter your father wrote,” Clint said taking it out of his pocket.

            I took it and opened the old folded piece of paper and it read

Dear Clint,

            I am writing you this letter to inform you that I have made you Violet’s guardian if anything is to happen to us and there is no family member to take care of her. I want you to keep an eye on her if anything happens. I also want you to tell her the truth about me when you see fit. I am writing you because I feel like something might happen soon, so in case, just look out for Violet. Make sure there is someone to care for her, and if not, to take her under your wing and raise her.

            I know this must be a strange letter to receive, but you know what our lineages mean, and how they can bring danger to us. I hope all is well with you and your family. How is Darren doing? I heard about the unfortunate event, and send my regards.

            Love,

Your mentor and friend.

I felt dizzy reading that letter. Clint looked at me with eyes that seemed genuine.

“I am living on my own at the moment, and am doing better. If you want to stay here and have me update you weekly, then that’s fine, but I’m living on my own,” I explained.

“You should be attending college. Why are you not?” Clint asked.

“I need time to deal with what happened to me, and I need to figure out some things for myself,” I said.

“I do not like it, but alright. Do your own thing, but come here on the weekends to let me know how you’re doing, and mind you, if you don’t, know that I can always look into a crystal ball to see what you’re up to,” Clint warned.

“No worries, I will come by on weekends like I do for Bruce and Andrew,” I said.

“Okay, I trust you, but don’t screw that up because I tend to be suspicious once trust has been broken,” Clint advised.

“No worries, but now I am going to have to get to my home to see Andrew,” I said still not sure what this Clint guy was up to.

“Alright, I’ll drive you,” Clint said.

            Gretta hugged me goodbye and I turned to Darren who looked to Gretta for instruction. Once she gave the nod he walked apprehensively to me and awkwardly hugged me. Clint cleared his throat hinting that Darren should let go of me. Darren released and looked at Clint obediently. The family structure here was very strange. Gretta seemed wise but she seemed to want to believe that Darren is all right. I agree with Clint on when he thinks Darren is unsafe.

            This poor kid hasn’t been socialized properly and has a lack of knowing what to do without guidance of Gretta or Clint. Plus the kid talks of killing in a creepy way.

“Come on, time to get you home,” Clint said.

“Can I go with you?” Darren asked.

“You want to come? Gretta, what do you think?” Clint asked.

“He may go, he needs to see the real world again,” Gretta said as she walked back into the kitchen.

            Darren followed Clint and I out the door and Clint made him sit in the back seat. The car ride was silent. I looked in the rear view mirror and the side mirrors to watch Darren’s reaction to the outside world, and he had a huge grin on his face, but when he saw this couple fighting he got this grave look on his face and turned his head away from the window. On arrival, when I got out of the car so did Clint. I looked at him questioningly.

“I need to meet Andrew,” Clint stated.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because he is in your life and I need to make sure everything is fine,” Clint said as Darren opened the door, “What are you doing?” Clint growled making Darren shrink down a bit.

“Getting out like you…”Darren said innocently.

“Fine… just stay close to me and don’t touch anything,” Clint instructed and Darren nodded.