Chapter 33

“You got the job,” Mr. Meyers smiled after my demonstration.

            “Thank you!” I replied happily.

            “When do you want to start? I have been looking for someone to replace Kelly. She just got married, and her husband has a job that requires him to move around, and she followed him,” Mr. Meyers said sadly.

            “I can start today if you need,” I offered.

            “Well, with your skills, you can teach a new type of class. Let me get the ground work done. I will call you when we have enough kids sign up,” Mr. Meyers said.

            “Okay, I’ll look out for the call,” I said and walked out of the “Meyers Defense.”

            Not much of a title, but the team there seemed friendly. Plus it was decent pay, and it would take up my time to keep me distracted from Andrew. I drove over to Bruce’s to let him know the good news.

            Arriving, Charles answered the door and said Bruce should be home from class soon. Natalie came downstairs and greeted me with a smile, which was strange. I didn’t get the feeling that she liked me very much.

            “Violet! So good to see you,” Natalie smiled sitting down next to me in the living room.

            “Good to see you too. You seem to be in a good mood,” I noted.

            “I am. Planning the wedding has been wonderful. Stressful, but I don’t need a fancy wedding. You’re of course invited,” Natalie said.

            “I am?” I asked shocked.

            “Of course! Your Bruce’s girlfriend. Why wouldn’t you be invited?” Natalie asked laughing.

            “I don’t know, I guess,” I said thinking about it.

            “You want to go dress shopping with me?” Natalie asked, flooring me.

            “Me?” I asked bewildered.

            “I don’t really have any friends, and you’re the only girl I know here. Science kind of kept me busy,” Natalie said.

            “Sure, I can go with you,” I smiled, glad that Natalie was warming up to me.

            I got the feeling she was mad at me for basically leaving Bruce hanging over the summer. Then again, she is his older sister, which means she probably is protective of him.

            “Do you think we can go this weekend?” Natalie asked.

            “Of course, my schedule is pretty free,” I said.

            Bruce walked in, briefcase in hand, looking a bit upset.

            “Violet? Hey,” Bruce said putting his bag down and walking over and kissing me.

            “Hey, you okay?” I asked.

            “Just a tiring Monday. Some of the kids are just unbearable. Mainly the freshman of course. I’ve taken up another class since one of the teachers got fired for having an affair with a student,” Bruce said.

            “Oh gosh, I didn’t know you took up teaching another class. Why didn’t you mention it?” I asked.

            “I didn’t think it was important. But how are you?” Bruce asked sitting down as Natalie walked out.