Chapter 22

***

“Guys, I can’t get a hold of Bruce, its been like three days,” I worried.

“I can’t find Darren or Gretta anywhere either,” Clint said.

“Violet, Clint, I think I know what happened,” Daniel said appearing in the kitchen doorway.

“What happened?” I asked impatiently.

“I caught scent of one of Nick’s people at Bruce’s and at Gretta’s. My best guess is that Nick has them captured,” Daniel said plainly as he drank a cup of blood.

“No, that is impossible,” I responded instantly, “Bruce is stronger than that, and so is Darren.”

“Don’t be too certain about that,” Andrew said coming from the back staircase near the garage door.

“If they are captured, then we need to do something to get them back,” I said.

“It’s not that simple,” Daniel said.

“Don’t you think I know that?” I snapped filled with anger.

“This is apart of Nick’s plan, don’t you see? It’s to get to you. Nick needed to get to you so he could control or um, look you should go up to rest while Andrew and I discuss this,” Daniel said.

“No! Hell no! What makes you think I am not being apart of this? I can handle Nick; I have hunted vampires since I was five! I am not letting anything happen to Darren or Bruce,” I stated, holding my ground.

“You’re too emotional right now, go calm down and come back,” Daniel stated not even looking at me.

“No. I’ll sit here while you discuss and I’ll be quiet,” I said stubbornly, sitting down and crossing my arms.

“Okay, well, we know why Nick took them, to yes get to Violet, but that isn’t his target. His target is me, he wants me to still surrender to him,” Andrew said.

“Exactly, and you have to stay strong,” Daniel warned giving Andrew a serious look.

“I will be,” Andrew assured, cocking his head at Daniel in his shocking doubt in Andrew.

            I sat there listening, and suddenly a headache came on strong. I put my hand to my head, trying to deal with the pain, but it got more intense. I moaned and held my head and closed my eyes.

“Violet? Are you okay?” Andrew said rushing over to me.

“My head…it hurts…badly,” I said.

“It’s Darren…” Clint said in awe.

“What do you mean?” Andrew asked in confusion.

“Darren and Violet…there’s a connection between them… its by magic. Darren is using his connection, and well…it could kill Violet if he focuses too much on her,” Clint stated without emotion.

“What?!” Andrew scowled, “How do we break it?” Andrew asked.

            Meanwhile, I could hardly see my surroundings, it was getting blurry and I felt faintish.

“Violet? Violet?” I heard Andrew say as he held m face in his hands, but I couldn’t focus on him.

“Clint, interfere!” Andrew yelled.

            Everything went black. When I awoke I was in my bed with Andrew by my side. He looked happy to see that I was okay, and called Daniel and Clint in.

“Told you she would be fine,” Clint said coldly.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Darren, Nick is using him to hurt you to get to Andrew,” Daniel explained.

“So, am I going to die?” I asked.

“No, I can hold off Darren’s attacks for a bit, but not forever. Darren is more powerful than I, and I can only ease the attacks on you. But eventually he will attack you and I won’t be able to control it and it could very well kill you,” Clint said bluntly.

“Clint! That isn’t what she needs to hear,” Andrew snapped.

“Hey, I need the truth,” I said to Andrew, looking into his sad and almost broken face, “I’m going to be okay, we just need to contact Nick,” I said with a weak smile.

            Clint and Daniel left, and Andrew refused to leave. I closed my eyes and thought about dying. I never actually ever felt that I could die. I’ve felt pretty invincible over the years. I mean, I’ve been plenty hurt and damaged, but never enough to the point where death entered my mind. In all honesty I was scared. There was nothing I could do to defend myself from these attacks, I just had to go through it and hope Clint could save me, which wasn’t reassuring. Plus Clint will do whatever is in Darren’s best interest, not mine…or maybe he wouldn’t…I mean he was close to my father, so maybe he is just frustrated because he can’t protect us both. One of us will die. The question is which one?