Chapter 36

Bruce was busy buying Charles a birthday present when I called him to hangout. Bruce seemed to be really into it. He seemed anxious, wanting it to be perfect. Not to mention that he was freaking out over last minute wedding details. The wedding was this weekend and Natalie had been on my ass about if my dress was ready and other details.

            The wedding was small and was happening in the backyard. Natalie surprisingly wanted it to be simple. Clint and Kelsey were even invited. Natalie really wanted to get to know me and the people in my life. I wasn’t too sure why though. Kelsey wasn’t too thrilled about going to a wedding, but she agreed to go.

            “Have you ever been to a wedding before?” Kelsey asked taking a sip of tea.

            “No, you?” I asked back.

            “Once, they aren’t all they’re cracked up to be,” Kelsey said dismissively.

            “So why are you going then?” I asked.

            “To keep you and Clint happy. Natalie obviously wants to make some kind of family bond. I just don’t want Clint to see the wedding and get any crazy ideas,” Kelsey admitted.

            “You think Clint wants to marry you?” I asked.

            “Since he asked me once before, I know he does,” Kelsey revealed.

            “You said no?”

            “I didn’t want to be involved in that life style. Maybe it was just destiny that I would be,” Kelsey sighed.

            “You’re lucky to have someone who loves you so much,” I smiled.

            “I am,” Kelsey smiled sadly, “but love isn’t always enough,” Kelsey said more seriously directed towards me.

            “I know,” I replied.

            “Just I don’t want you living in a fantasy world,” Kelsey said.

            “Did you live in one?” I asked.

            “Maybe. I just don’t want you to make the same mistakes I made when I was your age,” Kelsey admitted.

            “Thanks for the advice then,” I replied.

            “I’m scared to have this baby,” Kelsey opened up.

            “Really? Why? The pain?” I asked.

            “I’m scared I will fail as a mother,” Kelsey said rolling her eyes, “My job required a lot of time, and can be dangerous. I don’t want to fail my kid,” Kelsey said as she realized she was out of tea.

            “Here, I’ll make some more,” I said taking her cup.

            “Thank you. Violet, do you know what you want to do with your life?” Kelsey asked.

            “I’m not sure, I still have a lot to discover about myself,” I admitted.

            “Good, there’s no rush you know,” Kelsey assured.

            “Maybe, but Bruce is only twenty-six and has a job,” I said bringing her cup back.

            “But he grew up in that life. He was a scientist his whole life. You’ve been a fighter your whole life, and lately that’s changed. It’s normal to be unsure,” Kelsey said.