Chapter 35

The next morning Bruce and I had breakfast in bed and watched a movie. It was a nice way to spend a Saturday morning. Though I began to feel guilty, knowing how good my life had been going, knowing Andrew was still in Transylvania under Nick’s rule.

            “Hey guys,” Natalie said coming in as the movie was ending.

            “Natalie, can we help you?” Bruce asked.

            “No. Actually yes. I need you Bruce,” Natalie said.

            “You are becoming quite demanding,” Bruce joked.

            “I’m sorry,” Natalie apologized.

            “It’s okay. I have to go anyways. Clint and Kelsey will be wondering where I am,” I said.

            Bruce left the room with Nat, and I showered quickly and got dressed. Charles offered me breakfast.

            “I am fine, thank you,” I said as I ran out the door.

            Arriving at the house Clint and Kelsey were sitting at the kitchen table, Clint reading the paper, and Kelsey drinking tea. Both looked at me when I entered.

            “Spent the night at Bruce’s again,” Clint noted.

            “Clint, she is a young adult, don’t treat her like a child,” Kelsey remarked.

            “Thanks,” I smiled putting on the kettle and grabbing a yogurt out of the fridge.

            “Violet, I know that I am not your parent, but I am your guardian. I want to set some rules,” Clint said as he pulled out a chair for me.

            “Rules? Why? I’ve taken care of myself for a long time, I don’t need any rules,” I argued.

            “Bruce is older than you. You’ve been sleeping over his place on the weekends a lot. I don’t feel comfortable with it,” Clint admitted making Kelsey choke on her tea.

            “Clint are you serious? She is nineteen years old, give her a break,” Kelsey said sticking up for me.

            “Kelsey, she is not your responsibility,” Clint gritted.

            “She will be if we get married,” Kelsey said making Clint speechless.

            “Look, Bruce and I have been together for a while, I don’t think it’s strange for us to be spending the night together,” I said.

            Clint sighed and lifted his napkin on the table to reveal a condom. Kelsey started laughing.

            “Clint, she is nineteen, what did you expect?” Kelsey asked.

            “Violet, your father would-” Clint started.

            “Don’t you dare,” I interrupted.

            “How long?” Clint asked, and I stayed silent. “How long? When did you…”

            “That’s none of your business!” I said angrily.

            “Violet I just don’t want your heart to be broken,” Clint sighed.

            “And having sex somehow leads to my heart being broken?” I scoffed.