Chapter 17

***

            It’s been two weeks since I met Violet and moved in with Clint. He found an apartment a couple days ago and I am still getting used to being outside my home and running into people. Clint has rules though; I am not allowed to leave the apartment without him.

            I did however sneak out once and ran into this girl who lives in the apartment right across the hall. She smiled at me and I smiled back, assuming that was what I was supposed to do.

“Are you new here?” She asked as she twisted her finger through her blonde hair.

“Yes, just moved in a couple days ago,” I answered.

“What’s your name? Mine is Brittany,” she said.

“I’m Darren,” I said.

“You’re cute,” She said as she circled me, “How old are you, you seem to be older than I. I’m seventeen,” She said.

“I am twenty,” I answered.

“If you ever need any fun, just come to my apartment,” she said as she took out a pen and wrote something on a piece of paper.

            She handed it to me and there was a number on it, a cell phone number I assumed.

“Don’t be shy, call anytime,” Brittany said as she cocked her head side to side as she looked at me at different angles.

“Okay…” I said and returned to my apartment.

            That was the last of my adventures.  I wasn’t sure what would happen if I ran into her again, and I was afraid to find out so I stayed in the apartment. Clint wouldn’t let me come with him to visit Gretta when Violet was going to visit last weekend. I was hoping that if I was good enough, Clint would let me go with him this time. Clint was out getting groceries. He should be back soon, which meant more training on how to interact with people and learning about the real world.

            It was astonishing that Gretta kept me from knowing so much. I was glad that Clint took me in, especially because I was quite nervous about it at first. There was a knock on the door and I was unsure of whether to open it or not. After they knocked again I opened the door with the chain lock on it and peeked my eyes around to the opening, and Brittany was standing there.

“Well are you going to let me in or what?” Brittany said.

“Oh,” I said and closed the door taking the lock off and reopening the door.

“Nice place,” She said as she walked through the small apartment.

“Thanks,” I said with probably what looked to be a goofy smile.

            She then walked in between the door and me and walked toward me, I stepped backwards, but she kept walking and I kept retreating. I soon was pushed into my room.

“Why are you walking towards me?” I asked nervously as I tripped and fell backwards onto my bed.

“I want to be close to you silly,” Brittany said as she put her hand on my thigh.

            It was an odd feeling, completely new and unknown. She looked into my nervous eyes and leaned in and kissed me. Shock took over, and I didn’t know what to do.

“Why aren’t you kissing back? Haven’t you kissed a girl before?” Brittany asked in annoyance.

“I think you should go,” I said pushing her off me.

“Hey, be gentle!” Brittany said as she stumbled.

“You should leave,” I repeated.

“Yeah, yeah, I get that. What are you, gay? You don’t seem it. I would have thought you were interested in girls,” She said.

“I am interested in girls,” I defended.

“Then why aren’t you happy with me throwing myself at you?” she questioned.

“I don’t know you, I don’t want to be that close with someone if I don’t know them,” I said.

“Whatever, you’re a freak,” Brittany said as she walked out and I heard the door open.

“Who is this?” Clint said.

“It’s the next door neighbor,” I said walking out into the main room.

“Why is she here?” Clint asked looking Brittany over with a suspicious face.

“I don’t know; she wanted to be close to me or something?” I said unsurely.

“Leave,” Clint said to Brittany and she complied.

“I didn’t mean to let her in…” I started.

“What happened? What did you two do?” Clint asked.

“Nothing…” I said feeling guilty for an odd reason.

“Tell me,” Clint said sternly.

“She kissed me, and I didn’t know what to do, and I told her to leave,” I explained.

“Don’t let people into the apartment Darren,” Clint ordered.

“Sorry, trust me it won’t happen again. She scares me,” I admitted.

“Why?” Clint asked suddenly curious as he sat on the couch.

“She was so close to me. She touched my leg; it was strange. I don’t even know her. And the way she looked at me…I felt like I was under a microscope,” I said shyly realizing how ridiculous it sounded.

“People get close to people. Its natural Darren. She did all that because she was attracted to you. But she is too young for you, anyone below the age of eighteen is off limits, its law,” Clint said.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know, and I didn’t even want to be near her,” I apologized.

“It’s okay, you told me the truth and I’m glad for that. Plus, you were going through a new experience, which was probably stressful and you didn’t lose control. You’re getting better at keeping control,” Clint said with a soft smile.

“That’s true. I did keep things in control,” I said, “Do you think that I can go with you to see Violet this weekend?” I asked.

“Why do you want to see Violet?” Clint questioned.

“Because...I don’t know…I feel this connection to her, and I can’t explain it,” I tried to explain.

“Fine, you may come, but if anything goes wrong that will be the last time you see her,” Clint warned.