Chapter 29

I was woken up by someone knocking on the front door. I’d fallen asleep on the couch trying to sign up for an online course. Getting up, I ran my fingers through my hair to make sure I was presentable and when I turned into the foyer I saw a cop at the door.

           Immediately I thought about everything I had done recently that could get me arrested. The cop saw my shocked face and then Alex appeared in the window alongside the front door. I rushed to open the door but the lock was sticking making this really awkward. I got it to open and Alex ran into my arms hugging me tightly.

           “Hello Officer,” I said.

           “May I come in?” She asked, tucking her long brown hair behind her ear.

           “What is this about?” I asked.

           “Alex of course,” The cop said.

           “Sorry, I just woke up,” I replied as I heard someone at the top of the stairs.

           “Kelsey?” A voice asked, and I looked up to see Clint coming down the stairs slowly as if in shock.

           “Clint, what are you doing here?” Kelsey asked.

           “I live here now, temporarily. How have you been?” Clint asked with sad eyes.

           “I’ve been good, the force misses you,” Kelsey smiled looking down.

           “I miss that life too, but it was a temporary infatuation of mine,” Clint said as he stood next to me.

           “Anyways I am here about Alex,” Kelsey said getting back on topic.

           “Oh,” Clint said as he had a realization.

           “Can someone fill me in?” I asked.

           “Let’s all sit down in the kitchen,” Clint suggested, waving his arm, motioning us to move.

           I looked at Alex who couldn’t even look at me. I looked back to Clint and Kelsey as Alex and I sat down.

           “Can I get you some coffee?” Clint asked.

           “Sure, that would be nice,” Kelsey smiled and pulled out a chair to sit.

           “Little bit of cream and two sugars if I remember correctly,” Clint said as he grabbed a mug.

           “Exactly,” Kelsey replied.

           Clint came over and handed Kelsey the mug and sat down looking quite serious, making me uneasy.

           “Violet, Kelsey Steel here and I used to work together years ago, and while I was there, we were both assigned to a case that went unsolved. It was before we worked on homicide together. It was a missing kid’s case. Alex’s case,” Clint said.

           “Oh god,” I said as realization hit me.

           “So you see my dilemma,” Kelsey started, “I found Alex, and his parents still have hope even though most kids would be dead by this point. I have an obligation to take Alex with me and hand him over to his family,” Kelsey finished as she tapped her fingers on her mug nervously.

           “I didn’t…” Alex started but stopped.

           “How did you find him?” I asked.