Chapter 26

***

            The annual Vampire meeting was in a couple of hours. Preparations were being done, and I was Nick’s personal servant.

            “Andrew!” Nick called and I sped to his chambers.

            “Yes Sire?” I asked bowing down, hating it.

            “So good to see you be so obedient. Greta and Darren are being treated very nicely thanks to you surrendering. Bruce works in the underground castle. We made him one of the tunnels a long lab. It’s far enough from the main room where we will be holding the annual celebration,” Nick explained.

            “I know. What can I be service of?” I asked.

            “You are to do anything Marnie asks for. She is my Queen and she deserves a lap dog until the Vampires start arriving. You will be able to see Hypo after all this time. Sadly because you were King you are a guest at this event, not a servant. But if you want to keep your reputation, as bad as it is, keep a controlled temper. I don’t want any issues tonight,” Nick warned and waved me off.

            I bowed and found Marnie in the courtyard. She smiled sadly at me. I bowed my head and she rolled her eyes.

            “You don’t have to do anything for me. Nick just wants to make your life miserable,” Marnie said shaking her head.

            “I’ve figured as much,” I replied.

            “What if I told you that Nick has a plan for you,” Marnie started.

            “What kind of plan?” I asked.

            “A plan to prove your loyalty to him,” Marnie finished.

            “I would say bring it,” I growled.

            “Temper, temper,” Marnie said looking at me with disapproval.

            “My apologies.”

            “Andrew, I am sorry. I know how much pain you must be in,” Marnie said.

            “Like it matters to any of you,” I scoffed.

            “On the contrary. I do care. Though Nick gets angry when I tell him to be more polite to you. Nick still must see you as a threat,” Marnie pursed.

            “How? I am bound to him,” I said.

            “Not sure,” Marnie said and handed me a slip of paper and walked back to the castle.

            I opened it and was shocked at what was written. It was a diagram of the underground castle. It gave instructions to where Bruce was being held.

            Andrew, I know how much it hurts to be away from the one you love and know that they are suffering. I give you these instructions for you to break Bruce out. While the annual meeting is taking place, there will be much distraction, giving you time to find Bruce, and get him out. I’ve marked a secret exit that only Nick, The Elders, and I know of. Use it wisely. Maybe getting Bruce back to Violet will ease your mind a bit. Good luck.

            -Marnie

            I got myself ready for the meeting. I must say I did a nice job of putting myself together. I was not looking forward to all the Vampires that would look at me and either think failure or loser. I love Violet and will get Bruce back to her. I can at least make her happy. I walked to the entrance to the underground castle and Nick was sitting in the throne and many Vampires were talking and drinking.

            “Hello all, and welcome! A lot has happened in a year,” Nick smiled taking a pause, “But here we all are celebrating another year. I find that this coming year will hold many surprises and good things for our species! So let’s all raise a glass to our kind and may we thrive!”

            Everyone raised his or her glasses and I took this as an opportunity to slip away. I slithered down a side tunnel, and listened carefully Nick was announcing a feast would take place in thirty minutes. Live game. It sickened me, but I continued down the halls and found Bruce’s chambers.

            “Bruce!” I whispered.

            He sat up and squinted his eyes through the little window with bars and smiled when he saw it was me.

            “Andrew, what are you doing here?” Bruce asked.

            “I’ve been Nick’s servant. I caved to save Violet. And now I am risking my life to rescue you so Violet can be happy,” I said as I broke the door open.

            “What’s the plan?” Bruce asked.

            “There’s a secret exit, it’s a long tunnel that ends up opening in the woods near that Hunter’s cabin. I will take you there, you will go into the Hunters cabin, and you will get a weapon. I then will speed you to town. You will from there be on your own. I trust that you can somehow get back. I’m sure there’s money or some useful things in the Hunter’s cabin,” I said as we started walking down the tunnels.

            “Okay, thank you. We must get something from my lab though. Nick wants the cure for Vampires and for Werewolves, I must destroy the samples I have,” Bruce said and led the way.

            We got to his lab and it was intense. Bruce switched the lamps on and destroyed the samples, but put some in a steel case and nodded to keep moving. I grabbed Bruce and sped off to the secret exit. Once there I listened before opening the wooden door. We both got out and we walked to the cabin. I waited outside while Bruce gathered things that he would need. I heard screams and knew that the feast had started. It was going to be a frenzy, good time to make an escape.

            Bruce came back out with a duffle bag. I sped him to town and we said our goodbyes.

            “Andrew!” Bruce called as I started to walk away.

            “Yes?” I asked.

            “Nick is keeping Darren and Greta down there too. Nick never wanted you to get near Darren because Darren is the leverage keeping you loyal to him. Just thought I’d help you out too,” Bruce said then walked away.

            Speeding back to the castle it was a frenzy, and I went back into the main castle to escape it all.

            “You can’t hide here,” Nick said.

            “I will not participate,” I replied sternly.

            “True, you are not a servant while the meeting is going on, but it is quite disrespectful to not participate. Do I need to pull a Dacre on you? I do have a human in mind for you,” Nick said.

            “No. I will not kill,” I growled.

            “You will when the meeting ends as a punishment for breaking Bruce out. You will kill as many people as I instruct until I feel like you’ve learned your lesson,” Nick smirked and returned to the yard where the bloodbath was.