David imagine - Breakup - Angst

A/N - David is slightly out of character as requested but I will admit I need a hug after writting this ❤❤❤

Requested by: blackviperstrike Hope you enjoy and sorry for the wait! ❤❤❤

-----

That was the thing about being with vampires, they rarely understood the human fears they faced everyday- what you faced. David was no different from them, as much as you tried to convince yourself he wasn't. It was worryingly frequent where he would not be able to fully understand what you were going through and what you were feeling. Sure, he had easy access to your thoughts but he never fully understood. David was a good pretender, that much you came to realize. The resentment had built up quicker than you could explain it away and before you knew it, tensions had risen high. It was a bad idea to come to him when you were beginning to feel so strongly about his indifference.

Time after time he couldn't fully meet your needs. Luckily tonight had been a designated time for just the two of you. The boys were left to do whatever and David had came round to spend the night. There was just one thing he didn't see coming. The very moment he made a rather dark joke about the heartfelt scene on the television hadn't been met the way it usually was. Normally there was a laugh and an incredulous look that he could come up with something like that but no. Instead he had watched in his peripherals as you sighed and barely reacted.

David frowned, understanding enough from your body language that there was a problem. In his usual fashion he had been forward and asked if you were okay.

Only he wasn't prepared for the answer.

You sighed and lifted your gaze onto his. There was uncertainty and he knew your tics for when you felt anxious. From months of experience he decided to try and lessen the anxiety the usual way with a hand around your shoulder.

“Sweetheart?” Just as his hand made contact you shrugged him off. Now he was worried.

“David, I can't do this anymore.” You finally spoke, having a hard time looking at him.

David for the first time in a few decades was stumped and unsure of what to make of it.

“Do what?” He asked.

David saw you chew your lip and lower your gaze. He could tell it wasn't good. Usually you told him when things were bothering you.

“This.” You gestured with your hands.

David didn't understand before but now he pieced together just what you meant.

“It's getting to be too much for me and even right now I can see everything running through you right now. I need someone who can understand and care for me, not just pretend to care.”

For someone who didn't fear, he was feeling the icy cold electricity run up his spine. His heart might have reacted had it still been alive. David didn't like it, not at all. He did care, he truly did and he wasn't understanding how you could truly think that he didn't. You of all else knew about his more vulnerable side hidden behind the hard exterior he exuded.

“I don't know what you're implying. I didn't say I didn't care about you.”

You shook your head, a feeling beyond returning creeping up just like before a terrible drop.

“I can learn to be more... in touch. I’m not used to this, but believe me.” David tried to take your hand in his. He pulled back the second you moved away. “You bring out the more human side of me. I don't see how we can't work past this little issue.”

“No David. At one point I might have let you try but right now I just can't get past it. I’m too far gone.” It was an admission full of guilt, for yourself and for letting it go so far. If you had said something sooner it could have been fixed but what happens when the man you were currently crushing, simply just didn't get it? You were way past him learning to feel and empathize more so than his “human” act. Deep down your heart had already mourned the death of the relationship ship.

“Why didn't you come to me from the start?” David voiced his frustration, rising up from his seat on your couch and pacing around the small space. Hands itched to reach for the cigarette tucked behind his ear but he stopped himself, respecting your no smoking in the flat rule.

“Because you would get defensive with me.”

David ran a hand through his spikes, closing his eyes and answered back, “Because I love you.”

Then he paused for a second. He was quiet for a second, weighing his options.

“And I want this chance. Can we go back to the cave?” David turned to kneel before you- something he never did before. He was truly begging you and it ate at you with guilt.

The more he begged, the more you felt like shit.

“Or talk over dinner at that nice place you like? I know you haven't had dinner yet.”

Oh? So he had been keeping notes on you? You thought. It was almost sweet, sweet if it hadn't been ruined by the very reason why he had asked- to continue trying to change your mind.

“No. I just- can you leave please?” You ask. You couldn't bring yourself to look at him, fearing you would start tearing up if you did. You hated conflict. You hated it so much and breakups had never been a thing you were good at but could anyone really say they were particularly good at it?

“Only if you say you’ll meet me tomorrow. I’m not giving up on you.” A gloved hand reached out tentatively to cup your chin and guided you to face him. There was a stony expression on his face and you wouldn't have thought he was concerned, at least until you noticed the glisten in his eyes.

“You might just have to.”